Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 PM

Default How do you guys get through the \"down swings\"

Please dont view this as whining and I know this is a little on the vague side but how do you guys get through the variance of the game(obviously the bad side) Im multi tabling $25 NL these days and I look at my stats at the end of sessions and Im winning an incredible amount of small pots without the showdown, but it seems like everytime the money gets in there Im taking beat after beat. Do you move down to $10 NL and try to stop the bleeding there or do you ride it out and risk torching your bankroll? Do you guys take extended periods of time off from poker when running bad? Im trying to build a good bank roll and I hate to just stop playing and lose time playing the game. Suggestions?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: How do you guys get through the \"down swings\"

It sounds like you are playing at Full Tilt.

One thing is when you sit down at a table always ask yourself if your money is going to come from winning small pots or big pots and adjust your game accordingly.

Also, if you find yourself losing the big pots ask yourself if it was because of bad luck (suckout) or because you overvalues something like TPTK at a tight table.

That's a little vague but that's about all I can say not knowing more specifics.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you are playing at Full Tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

But seriously.

Play with a very large bankroll and the beats won't matter to you as much. Losing 10 buyins on a 20 buyin bankroll is devistating (sp?) both to your bankroll and to your psyche. Losing 10 buyins of a 50 buyin bankroll is "meh" but it doesn't mentally or financially destroy you.

Taking breaks for a few days or a week has always helped me. If things really go bad I sometimes switch sites or games for a while. I would recommend having some money on a secondary site that you can go to when things aren't going well on your primary site. This all might not be possible if you are playing for a living (I'm assuming you don't since you play 25NL). If you normally play NL on full tilt, try stud8 or 5draw on stars for a couple of days. Switching games/sites usually seems to break me out of any clouded mental state that seems to overcome me when I am running really bad.

[/rambling]
Old 03-01-2007, 09:59 PM

Playing over-rolled helps. I will drop down in levels if I'm running bad for an extended period. I will also regularly switch up my game and donk it up at some MTT's or SNG's for a bit, try some omaha or stud. This is also a great recipe for stunting your poker growth unfortunately.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

One thing is when you sit down at a table always ask yourself if your money is going to come from winning small pots or big pots and adjust your game accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like incredibly bad advice. You play with adjustments to table conditions not if today you feel like winning small pots or big pots.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like incredibly bad advice. You play with adjustments to table conditions not if today you feel like winning small pots or big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I mean. I never said what you "felt like" I meant how the games were playing... sorry I thought that was implied [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing over-rolled helps. I will drop down in levels if I'm running bad for an extended period. I will also regularly switch up my game and donk it up at some MTT's or SNG's for a bit, try some omaha or stud. This is also a great recipe for stunting your poker growth unfortunately.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF??? Learning different games will always help your other games.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he means that you should examine the table conditions and base your strategy on what you find, not just randomly decide whether you feel like playing big or small pots during this session.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. It makes you more well rounded and can keep your mind fresh.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. I find myself just finally starting to learn NL cash after a year or so of poker, so the comment came out slightly twisted.
edit: (and am a ridiculous bankroll nit)