Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: How do you guys get through the \"down swings\"

[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but IMHO NLHE is TERRIBLY suited to multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep I think that's only you who thinks so... However there is a big difference between 2-4 tabling vs 12 tabling. Start with 2 tables and slowly move up until you get adjusted.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but IMHO NLHE is TERRIBLY suited to multitabling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep I think that's only you who thinks so... However there is a big difference between 2-4 tabling vs 12 tabling. Start with 2 tables and slowly move up until you get adjusted.

[/ QUOTE ]
No he isn't. The thing however is that your win rate won't drop so much that adding the extra tables doesn't over compensate for it.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM

I used to think multitabling NL was stupid. I also thought that playing NL online was retarted. What does it say about me that the first time I played NL online I multitabled? Anyway, I find four tabling pretty easy with PT and PAHUD. FRNL goes so slowly that you really don't get that many hands. It's also easier if you play kinda tight. I'm like playing 16/8 lately. I'm playing NL$100, though. If I were playing bigger I think I'd need to pay closer attention to my opponents.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:08 PM

table selection is pretty important i feel, try and sit down at tables where there are not too many regs as you will not get their money as easily. I have paid more attention to this recently and have been getting better results accordingly
Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 PM

Each time I have a bad session (more than 2k hands) I go to the games notes in PT and try to figure if I am running bad or if I'm on tilt/FPS. I simply replay all the hands with a pot > 20bb won or lost. Most of the time it's variance and sometimes I can see how bad I can play when I'm on tilt. When I have an hesitation about the way I played a hand I ask to friends or I post the hand on the forum.

When the downswing last for more than 10k I try to check deeper :
_ I look at all my pp and see how many times I hit a set on the flop while holding a pp. This should be roughly 12%. I have been as low as 8% over 10k hands.
_ I look at the frequency of the big winning hand : QQ+/AK. _ I look at all the classical setup loose/win a stack and see if i'm even. I'm thinking about set over set, KK vs AA, flush over flush (with two cards of course), str8 over str8 and things like that.
_ I look at my AI with drawing hands and AI against drawing hand.

These kinds of checking can help you to:
_ Stay confident in your game which is really important when you are running bad.
_ Find out when you are on tilt much quicker.

Last but not least : I use the grindhouse thread to whime.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 AM

How do you do this in PT?

- I look at all my pp and see how many times I hit a set on the flop while holding a pp. This should be roughly 12%. I have been as low as 8% over 10k hands.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 AM

be properly rolled to the point where the money doesnt have the same value to you as cash sitting in front of you. downswings are tough and in todays online poker landscape variance is high. i had a 19 buyin downswing at 6-max in january, and i consider myself a decent player.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:08 AM

I have had a 15 buyin downswing, 10 buyin, and two 8s, in the last 6 months. This is against a background of 6 winning months (1 breakeven after rakeback etc. (: )

It is correct to question yourself. Have the games you are playing stiffened up? Are you on tilt? Have you disrupted something in your style?

In each case deeper PT analysis suggested that a lot of my swings were variance related, of the form JetSet lays out well above.

However, in my case, there is definitely some tilt involved. I am certainly victim of the "of course TPTK gets busted by a set" wallowing in self-pity, when normally you might have lost $60 and allowed yourself to get stacked. Or the paying off a flush draw when you know its hit just to "prove" how unlucky you are.

When I find myself doing this I do the following:
1) Introduce daily stop losses if I am unhappy with my play (today I am self banned after dropping 3 buyins).
2) Post/Review hands more. I particularly check for showdown hands to see if I am stacking off light
3) Tighten up a little. I have read High Limit posts who view this as a form of tilt, which it probably is in terms of generating wins at that level, but at our stakes I am less convinced.

Incidentally, I believe a 15 buyin downswing highlights my weakness as a player. I was a bit surprised to see posters who I respect like Berge had suffered similar spells. Do others have views on this.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:21 AM

Lame ass question here, are some people really just not supposed to play poker? I know I probably made a loose call with 2 4s there, im playing down a limit trying to flop hands, I love how I tell the guy in the 2nd hand he has AQ, then he sticks his chips in there. Any suggestions or again do you tip your cap to variance? I mean it goes back to what I said earlier Ive got notes on both players, had him on AQ and puked when the Q rolled off, and had the guy on AA KK there and the Ace rolls off... do you see all 5 before making your move or do you just tip your cap there bc I was in so well

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Tking4unc [4c 4d]
JELion: folds
slowplay1: folds
Weedh0: calls $0.10
Guillermo68: calls $0.10
Ice Princezz: calls $0.10
chipBolduc: folds
wirewraps: raises $0.40 to $0.50
oriolesfan77: folds
Tking4unc: calls $0.40
Weedh0: folds
Guillermo68: folds
Ice Princezz: calls $0.40
*** FLOP *** [7d 4s 7s]
Tking4unc: checks
Ice Princezz: bets $0.80
wirewraps: raises $1.40 to $2.20
Tking4unc: raises $7.30 to $9.50 and is all-in
Ice Princezz: folds
wirewraps: calls $7.30
*** TURN *** [7d 4s 7s] [3s]
*** RIVER *** [7d 4s 7s 3s] [Ad]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Tking4unc: shows [4c 4d] (a full house, Fours full of Sevens)
wirewraps: shows [As Ah] (a full house, Aces full of Sevens)
wirewraps collected $20.50 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $21.55 | Rake $1.05
Board [7d 4s 7s 3s Ad]

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Tking4unc [Ah Kd]
2PANCHO2: calls $0.10
$crubby: folds
slowplay1: calls $0.10
solocap: raises $0.30 to $0.40
ajh1037: folds
oriolesfan77: folds
sarto555: calls $0.35
Tking4unc: calls $0.30
2PANCHO2: calls $0.30
slowplay1: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ad 8c 9s]
sarto555: checks
Tking4unc: bets $1
2PANCHO2: folds
solocap: raises $2 to $3
sarto555: folds
Tking4unc: raises $6.45 to $9.45 and is all-in
Tking4unc said, "AQ is no good"
Tking4unc said, "i show"
solocap: calls $6.45
*** TURN *** [Ad 8c 9s] [Qs]
*** RIVER *** [Ad 8c 9s Qs] [Th]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Tking4unc: shows [Ah Kd] (a pair of Aces)
solocap: shows [As Qh] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
solocap collected $19.60 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $20.60 | Rake $1
Board [Ad 8c 9s Qs Th]
Old 03-03-2007, 03:10 AM

I've run into this for the past 30,000 hands myself... in fact I've played that AK/AQ hand and had the same thing happen. I've certainly helped things out variance wise though by calling down with worse flushes, calling a turn reraise with AK on a board of 667A2 in a multiway pot. It seems like everything I do is the wrong play. But I have analyzed the variance as well, for instance in 13 ai situations where I was 80% or better to win I only won 6 of them.

I honestly can see why people start going off saying sites are rigged, the worst hand always wins, blah blah blah. Maybe some of us are just "unlucky", meaning that while every one gets the same amount of luck "in the long run", the long run for some is years. I mean let's face it, for every person who has great "luck" in poker (meaning they hit their draws a little more often and have their best hands hold up as much or more than they should) there has to be someone on the opposite end of the "luck". Sucks if it's you.

How many would be great players have quit too soon because they recieved their long run of bad luck at the start rather than after a few years of playing and doing well?