Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 03:43 PM

Default 10NL AQ flops TPTK... I suck

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 10 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $1.90
BB: $8.10
UTG: $11.73
UTG+1: $17.68
Hero (UTG+2): $19.52
MP1: $10.00
MP2: $1.80
MP3: $1.05
CO: $12.71
BTN: $7.13

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (10 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, 4 folds, BTN calls $0.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $0.60</font>, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.45) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.50</font>, BTN calls $1.50

River: ($5.45) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero ???

Only had 9 hands worth of data on him, 11/0/0 for what it's worth.

I'm thinking I should bet the river but that J is a bit of a scare card and my hands gone from being a probable winner to marginal and I don't want to be putting too much money into the pot.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: 10NL AQ flops TPTK... I suck

Bet flop. Bet more on turn. As played, this river I'd rather c/c, because you took a line that screams float/bluff. River highly depends on the opponent, calling stations I valuebet, but otherwise I c/c because I don't want to get raised.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:24 PM

I keep hearing bet more on the flop etc but no-one ever says how much. I made the same bet I'd make into most flops with a c-bet and that's half the pot. If I bet the pot doesn't that kind of give my hand away?

Then on the turn I bet over half the pot, how much should I have bet?

I ended up c/c a bet of $2.50 on the river. The only hands I really had beat were KQ, QJ, and a busted flush draw bluff but with a bet of $2.50 the busted flush draw wasn't likely.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:45 PM

I don't play full ring, but in 10NL-6max I usually bet 3/4-4/5 pot on a non dangerous flop. If there are a lot of draws out there, I might bet full pot.

In my experience giving your hand away is not something you have to worry about in 10NL. People like their hand or they don't. If they like it they will call anyway. If someone calls with any piece of the board /any draw, then I will valuebet TPTK on all streets (unless the obvious draws hit). If people tend to fold a lot on the flop, I proceed with caution on the turn.

But checking here is very wrong in my opinion for the following reasons.
1) You are OOP and taking the pot on the flop is a good result, since you do not have the immortal nuts.
2) There are only 5 cards that improve your hand, while there are a lot of cards that will scare you. Any K for an opponent having AK, any club will complete a flushdraw, 2's and 7's complete 45. J's, T's and K's make the board more connected. So you do not want to give free cards, because anyone that will NOT call a flop bet and will call a turn bet probably improved to something that beats your hand.
3) By checking you lose initiative, so you have no clue whether villain bets, because you look weak OR because he has a monster OR because he has something like KQ. So not betting this flop gives you no info at all.
4) If villain calls too much, you want money in the pot while ahead. That means on the flop.

(Btw you do not beat QJ)
Old 09-29-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2007, 06:43 PM

I have no idea why you would ever check this flop. Bet about $1. Bet turn too. River is a bad card if it gets to that point betting both streets, too many two pairs got there. I would c/c basically anything.

As played, bet river IMO. Nothing too much like $3. He can have just about anything at this point. Your turn bet doesn't look credible at all so I doubt he's folding anything. Almost same goes for river.