Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 AM

Default 5/10 NL live double checkraise and possible sick river call

Foxwoods 5/10, 10-handed.

Villain is a loose player with a wide raising range preflop. He is a decent player overall and is capable of big moves. His moves are sometimes a little too big and crazy though. He views me as a smart player who is also capable of a lot of stuff.

I have 4500, villain covers.

I am on the button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop
Villain limps, someone else limps, and I raise to 65. Only villain calls.

Flop (150): Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks, I bet 100, and villain raises to 300. I feel like his range at this point is just too wide for me to fold so I call. He does like to bluff when he sees an opportunity and me c-betting after raising from the button seems like a good one.

Turn (750): 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks. This leads me to believe that he didn't have a big hand on the flop. I am pretty sure he was on some kind of bluff and is deciding it is not worth firing another bullet. I decide that instead of making a big bet here, I will make a very weak-looking one so that he will think I am conflicted between protecting my hand and getting to showdown cheap. Then he will pounce on me. Something just told me this would work right here. So I bet 300, and he did indeed raise me to 1000. I call, planning to call whatever he bets on most or even all rivers.

River (2750): J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Yucky river card. Everything got there but air. He bets 2000. Time to do some optimistic analysis to rationalize a call. Recall that I am ruling out any made hands on he flop. Also, because of his bet size and the fact that he didn't think too much before betting, I am ruling out any two pair or set. This leaves straights or basically nothing. For straights, he could have 88, 68s, 78s, 89s, 8Ts, KQ. For nothing, he could have AJs, 67s, A9, maybe even 22-77. I don't know. Somebody please tell me I can call here... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: 5/10 NL live double checkraise and possible sick river call

I don't think he is bluffing the flop here as often as you think. That flop crushes his range of holdings. I have no problem with flop play, but given that, I am most likely checking behind on the turn.

As played, you have to fold to that turn c/r. When you get c/r'd twice in the same hand you are often crushed live.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 AM

Just fold the flop.
Villain has KJ
Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 AM

river is an easy fold. I'd bet $500 on the turn and fold to CR.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 AM

reread OP and I guess you can call his flop c/r, but I would def check turn behind, even though i understand ur small bet turn plan, i dont like it, cuz u are just levelling urself IMO
Old 11-13-2007, 04:21 AM

i agree that the turn bet is a little fancy but i dont mind it if you have a good read on villain

i think that i would check the turn though, i also think that i would call this river if i called the turn CR, i dont think he bets this river like that with the low straight even...you can easily have a KQ imo
Old 11-13-2007, 05:31 AM

Given infos, and villain's image, I guess betting turn is just horrible, if you don't want to fold to a checkraise.

Inflating the pot here with TPTK on the turn doesn't make any sense to me.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:35 AM

Either pot turn or check. Betting weak is simply the worst solutoin of all. Potting the turn we get our aswer. If he calls we probobly got him beat or he has a draw. If he raises again I would have enough info to fold. Checking the turn we induce him to bluff and controle the pot low - however we let him draw for free with a potential draws and there is alot of cards we dont want to see, so we need to be ready to fold river if action induces so. If the opponont is tricky I would check turn and if he is standard I would bet turn and fold to cr.

As played.. easy fold.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM

It is kind of tough to defend the river call, but I think the turn play can be defended despite what people say. When he checkraises and then checks again, he almost definitely does not have me beat. He most likely puts me on AQ or KK or AA, and he would want to keep the pressure on with two pair or better. So the best plan for the turn is to bet in such a way that I can get the most money in on the turn and river. It seemed like 300 would do it.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:57 AM

River is a definite fold, if he has a good read on you he can valuetown you far too easily. I like a check behind on the turn, in which case you can call the river. Betting the turn just opens you up to unnecessary variance and doesn't really get you any meaningful value. If you are going to bet, put him to a difficult decision by betting big rather than weak.