Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Lloyd Carr Retiring

I've had many problems with Lloyd Carr, and I'm happy that he retired. However, I thought I'd give him props for an amazing stat. He lost 40 games as Michigan's head coach. Only one of them (Purdue in 1996) was to a team that finished the season with a losing record.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:53 PM

I hear you about Harbaugh being inexpierienced in big time CFB, but I think most will agree that he was bred to be a coach. He grew up as a kid hanging out at college football practice all day with his dad who was a long time head coach. QB at Mich and big time student of the game. Had alot of success in a fairly long NFL career. Did great things at SDSU in a short amount of time. Had a a successful first year at Stanford, including one of the biggest upsets of all time. He's been around football along time, he understands more than the X's and O's. He's more than ready imo. If it wasn't for those comments I would think he would be the perfect Michigan coach.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM

A bit off-topic:

I keep reading about how Lloyd kept recruiting up, but I'm not convinced.

For the last few years we seem to get a 5-star QB (that doesn't develop) and then a bunch of 3-4 star players everywhere else. That's pretty good for most programs, but not Michigan.

I dunno, I just think a program of Michigan's caliber should not be excited about Sam McGuffie.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A bit off-topic:

I keep reading about how Lloyd kept recruiting up, but I'm not convinced.

For the last few years we seem to get a 5-star QB (that doesn't develop) and then a bunch of 3-4 star players everywhere else. That's pretty good for most programs, but not Michigan.

I dunno, I just think a program of Michigan's caliber should not be excited about Sam McGuffie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than Mallett, QB recruiting was a struggle the last past few years, but that is somewhat to be expected with Henne starting as a true freshman. A big problem was finishing 2nd on so many top defensive back recruits. From King, Harris, Eugene, and a few others, we paid for those 2nd places finishes.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 AM

Scout has McGuffie as the #5 back in the country. Rivals has him as the ninth best all-purpose back. The kid is a strong, fast, physical freak and he has huge stats. He had offers from the likes of Florida, USC, etc. I don't understand why anyone would not be excited about him.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you about Harbaugh being inexpierienced in big time CFB, but I think most will agree that he was bred to be a coach. He grew up as a kid hanging out at college football practice all day with his dad who was a long time head coach. QB at Mich and big time student of the game. Had alot of success in a fairly long NFL career. Did great things at SDSU in a short amount of time. Had a a successful first year at Stanford, including one of the biggest upsets of all time. He's been around football along time, he understands more than the X's and O's. He's more than ready imo. If it wasn't for those comments I would think he would be the perfect Michigan coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. First, he was a SDU, not SDSU. SDU is a non-scholarship DII school, SDSU is a DIA school. Big, big difference. His first year at Stanford is hardly successful. Given the circumstances it's hardly a failure either, but geez, they're 3-7. Okay, they pulled off a great upset. If you're deciding a guy with less than 1 year of DIA experience is good because of 1 game, you could be AD at Notre Dame, but you're not good enough for Michigan (or any other school that expects to win and is run by competent people).

As for the rest okay, hung out with the program, dad was a coach, that's all well and good. But think about it: you're Michigan. You don't have to take a risk on a guy with a very limited track record. Big level BCS schools have to take chances on guys with a couple good years at minor programs and hope they get the real deal instead of a decent coach who got lucky. We can afford to look at guys who have been successful over a longer sample, at multiple programs, which provides more certainty that a coach is good. There's no reason to take a risk on a guy who might be good when you can take guys who almost certainly are good.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM

We should go get JoePa imo.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scout has McGuffie as the #5 back in the country. Rivals has him as the ninth best all-purpose back. The kid is a strong, fast, physical freak and he has huge stats. He had offers from the likes of Florida, USC, etc. I don't understand why anyone would not be excited about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

But..he's white.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:56 AM

I wonder how Norv Turner would serve as a college football HC...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how Norv Turner would serve as a college football HC...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't be worse than Ron Turner.