Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Leach/Kyl

Just wanted to remind everyone both of these goobers are up for re-election. They bear far more responsibility than the TN Surgeon for our woes.

Come Nov 7th, there are a couple of votes our compadres can cast in Iowa and Arizona.

The first is not likely to have any impact as Rep James Leach is a well-weathered incumbent in the corn belt. Still a message is a message and you never know in today's climate.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/e.../keyraces/764/

The second is John Kyl (AZ) in the Senate, his opponent is making steady progress. A last minute scandal by child fondlers in the House might just put him over the top.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/e...s/keyraces/55/

Kyl has consistently introduced legislation for the last ten years and will not stop because this first piece went through. If re-elected you can be sure he will be back for another bite of the apple.

If you live in either of these states, vote early and often as they say. If not, you can still find their opponents campaign sites and give your support.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Leach/Kyl

Thanks faust....would you or anybody else be able to point to a place where we can determine the best candidates in other states? I've seen some listings of who voted in support of the legislation, but am not sure if their opponents would be any different. For example I'm an Ohio voter near Cleveland, where could I find the necessary information to make an informed decision that would benefit our cause?
Old 10-11-2006, 03:24 PM

See, thats the thing. Gambling is always going to be a challenge for lawmakers because of its roots. I hear the calls to oust republicans because of the bill and it might be true it would not get introduced under a dem majority, but I wouldn't bet on it.

One thing is clear; these two guys have a hard-on for Internet Gambling issues; Kyl in particular. At this point, the dems need to win something like 15 seats to take a majority and its too close to call in the House. Its probably likely the Senate stays in republican hands, though that isn't certain either.

What has happened in the past is a bill gets through one side of congress and bogged down in the other. Having the republicans in control of both, Abramoff getting nabbed and a Senate leader who needs scalps for his base essentially opened a hole in the needle for the camel to pass. Now that it has passed, it could be a whole lot easier for them to jam more nonsense through.

Frankly, these two guys opponents might be bozos. The reason I don't find an issue with that is because our congress is broken anyway. Until there is public financing of campaigns, none of these guys work directly for you or me; they work for whoever gives them the most money.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:45 PM

Poker Players Alliance:

http://www.pokerplayersalliance.org/...4411_Votes.pdf

This is the best list I have seen, only two representatives voted against the SAFE Ports bill I believe. I believe what they mean by "Voted against the ban" is that they voted against inclusion in the SAFE Ports bill as did Kucinch.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker Players Alliance:

http://www.pokerplayersalliance.org/...4411_Votes.pdf

This is the best list I have seen, only two representatives voted against the SAFE Ports bill I believe. I believe what they mean by "Voted against the ban" is that they voted against inclusion in the SAFE Ports bill as did Kucinch.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most important column in that chart is how they actually voted on HR4411... which was the legislation that passed in the house and included far more than the current bill does.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Frankly, these two guys opponents might be bozos. The reason I don't find an issue with that is because our congress is broken anyway. Until there is public financing of campaigns, none of these guys work directly for you or me; they work for whoever gives them the most money.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original legislation in the House was co-sponsoredby Bob Goodlatte, (R-VA). I always thought it was wierd that he would write in those exemptions for horse racing and fantasy sports. I went on the Federal Election Commission website and looked at his campaign contributions. Sure enough, $10,000 from the Nat'l Thoroughbred Racing Assoc., $5000 from the American Quarter Horse Assoc., and contributions also from every ISP that runs fantasy sports leagues. These guys (and gals) in congress are pure whores, in almost literally the strict sense of the word. Goodlatte says on his website that stopping internet gambling was one of his top "legislative priorities," but the [censored] writes in an exemption for anyone who ponied up some cash. Disgusting.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM

http://www.vote-smart.org

everything about every candidate and issue