Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 PM

Default Re: PAHUD wanting to connect to the internet

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think it represents a security risk?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because PAHUD could be stealing passwords and other sensitive data and sending them back to its makers.

I trust PAHUD but that is an act of faith on my part. I don't actually know what it is sending when it phones home. That makes it a security risk.

I have a lot of security software on my machine. In general I am concerned by any application that is asking for permissions it doesn't need to do its job. PokerAce doesn't need internet access to be a HUD.

It's worth remembering that you don't always know who you are trusting. A couple of years ago a highly respected affiliate innocently distributed a rakeback calculator. Unfortunately the developer they hired secretly embedded a rootkit which circulated for months before someone detected it.

So there is a security risk here but hopefully it isn't serious. This thread represents a mutual lack of trust. Developers don't trust people not to pirate their software. Software users don't trust developers not to distribute trojan horses. They both have good points. Welcome to the 21st Century.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:23 PM

I agree with all of this. I hate the fact that PAHUD authenticates itself periodically. At least it doesn't do it all the time. On the other hand, it seems unnecessary for this software in particular (poker players are so involved with money that they'd just pay if they want to use it), and poker players have more reason than most to not want their software to be reporting to untrusted locations.

I saw somebody mention PT doing this. As far as I can see PT doesn't authenticate at all. The website insinuates that it does (they mention disabling installations if you install on over two computers), but I have seen no evidence of this. It can look to see if there is an update, but you can enable/disable this.

End result is that I begrudgingly just decided to trust the PAHUD developers. Unfortunately I think we'll see this in PT3 too.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But allowing PAHUD to connect to the internet and verify itself ensures that is legitimate and not a hacked/pirated/etc. version.

[/ QUOTE ]
in fact it's the other way. You allow some application (PAHUD here) to communicate without knowing if it's legitimate.
Correct me if wrong but AFAIK Pahud doesn't use any kind of certificate.

In fact you may be using a pirated version that reports itself to some shady people. If you don't verify that it communicates with PAHUD author (his IPs) it can be communicating with a hacker as well.

You know there's a version that doesn't connect openly to the servers, do you (I don't recommend anyone using this version, I only mention that there is).
(I don't use any becuase I don't want to allow legal version to communicate nor want to have some illigal version that can comunicate in some secret way).

[ QUOTE ]
(they mention disabling installations if you install on over two computers), but I have seen no evidence of this. It can look to see if there is an update, but you can enable/disable this.

[/ QUOTE ]
there are many sw developers that claim such a thing but usually you can go with few computers (they don't want all that hassle with every second user). They have it there if you share your keys they don't need to argue if you use dial-up about IP addresses.
They show you "7.35 your serial was connected from 2 IP addresses at once" and you serial is canceled. That's the purpose of that "only one computer" in most cases.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW. there's a solution, but it's illegal...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell us the solution. It isn't illegal to post the solution.

People that say things like this should be banned if they don't post the information. Very annoying.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:14 AM

Stellarwind's right in all his points and the PT3 developers just told me they will be continuing this policy when it's released. This is a tipping point for me. When PT was the only thing out there I begrudgingly accepted PAHUD's policy. Now that there is competition it's time we push back.

I was planning on purchasing PT3, but if they continue to do this and Holdem Manager does not, I'll learn how to use Holdem Manager instead.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM

^^^^ agreed
Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 AM

It would fit with some comment from the pahud developer/frontman.

Or will they just dodge/check this question.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's why I won't steal PT/PAHUD. I am hoping "Holdem Manager" doesn't do this so I can steal it when it is ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I'm not accusing you of being a theif, just pointing out that your average user will only really be worried about this if they have pirated/cracked software - which is exactly why I expect we will continue to see this feature on most new products.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your average user will only really be worried about this if they have pirated/cracked software

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll pay for PT3 just as I paid for PT and PAHUD. I won't, however, allow programs access into my computer if it can be helped. Read Stellarwind's comments about the so-called rakeback calculator.

Others more knowledgable can comment, but it is my understanding all these so called copy protections can be circumvented anyway and that most likely includes something that connects to a registration server. Sounds to me like that was already hinted at earlier in the thread. So the only ones that are suffering a risk from some malware are the legal users and I grit my teeth every time my firewall alerts me PAHUD is transmitting info.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell us the solution. It isn't illegal to post the solution.
People that say things like this should be banned if they don't post the information. Very annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]
People with half a brain will know what's the secret solution. It's called "crack". And yes it's illegal to post such a link on this forum (well I haven't ever posted but if they ban using "torrents" then I doubt the mods would tolerate this).