Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Songs with cool stories behind them

Pink Floyd's "wish you were here"
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM

Ok seriously, just posting song names without stories is retarded.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Meatloaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome story. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, Shine on You Crazy Diamond. A tribute to Syd Barrett. He actually made an unannounced appearance at Abbey Road when they were recording the song, kind of wild really to be there for that particular recording. Supposedly the band didn't even recognize him, overweight and having shaved all his hair and eyebrows. When they realized who it was Roger Waters started to cry.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

It's about a guy who could've saved that other guy from drowning. But didn't. Phil saw the whole thing and at a show he found him.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eminem lyric duder. Maybe I'm being triple-leveled though.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight

It's about a guy who could've saved that other guy from drowning. But didn't. Phil saw the whole thing and at a show he found him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

An urban legend has arisen around "In the Air Tonight". According to the legend, the lyrics are based on a tragic event Collins witnessed, usually a drowning (as in the song's lyrics), in which a man could have helped the victim, but did not do so. A common ending is that Collins invites this man to a show and sings the song to him, often with a spotlight pointed at him. Afterward, the man is arrested or, in some versions, is wracked with guilt and commits suicide.

Years later, Collins commented on the legends about the song in a BBC World Service interview:

“ I don't know what this song is about. When I was writing this I was going through a divorce. And the only thing I can say about it is that it's obviously in anger. It's the angry side, or the bitter side of a separation. So what makes it even more comical is when I hear these stories which started many years ago, particularly in America, of someone come up to me and say, 'Did you really see someone drowning?' I said, 'No, wrong'. And then every time I go back to America the story gets Chinese whispers, it gets more and more elaborate. It's so frustrating, 'cos this is one song out of all the songs probably that I've ever written that I really don't know what it's about, you know. ”

The urban legend is referenced in the song "Stan" by Eminem in the following lyrics:

You know the song by Phil Collins, "In the Air of the Night" [sic]
About that guy who coulda saved that other guy from drowning
But didn't, then Phil saw it all, then at a show he found him?
Putting the rumors to rest once and for all, Collins stated on VH1 Classic's "Classic Albums" series that he came up with "99%" of the lyrics on the spot, based on what he felt the vibe was of the dark chords he had improvised over the ominous drum beat. He was "just messing around for fun," completely unaware that what he was creating would ultimately be the staple song from his next album.

Most fans understand the real meaning of the lyrics as: Phil was involved in a separation with his wife Andy. Its almost universally accepted that this was the emotional catalyst for the lyrics in this track and others in later songs and albums including his work within Genesis. Most fans agree that some lyrics are purely metaphorical and not fact as the urban legends espouse. eg "drowning". Most fans see this as saying there was a lack of support within the relationship. Other parts of the song are interpreted as anger, guilt, regret and marital infidelity. The discovery of lies and feelings of foreboding eg. "I can feel it coming in the air tonight". It's believed that Phil simply penned his experiences into a set of lyrics explaining events and actions that took place in a difficult period of his life. No hidden meanings, just an outpouring of emotions; a collection of genuine thoughts and feelings. So yes, a song written while messing around for fun, but generated by strong emotions caused by what most fans believe as real emotional hurt caused by the breakdown of his marriage, leading up to the unfortunate separation and divorce from his first wife Andy.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM

"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix

Jimi was at a party in England, where the house had very little heat. Everyone was trying to stand by the fireplace. Apparently, the dog was at the front of the line, inspiring the line "Move over Rover and let Jimi take over."
Old 11-13-2007, 01:43 PM

that reminds me of "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple.

The lyrics pretty much explain it all, but it's about some big festival or party that was held in like Montreaux, Switzerland by a lake, and some idiot with a flare gun caught Frank Zappa's place on fire, IIRC. The place burnt down, and the smoke hovered over the water, inspiring the lyric "Smoke on the Water...fire in the sky..."
Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Atmosphere- That Night
http://web.abqtrib.com/archives/news...sunshine.shtml