Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: House to Debate Impeachement of Vice President Cheney?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is this going down or what? i hate that man

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain why you hate him so much?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's mostly because he's evil.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i hear that a lot from liberals I know, then when I ask them to explain their hatred they give me this look like 'are you serious?' and then tell me something about him being evil complete with shot in the face comment. They can never answer my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, kind of like asking people why they voted for Bushie in 2004 "OMG John Kerry would have been the worst president EVAR."
Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, it appears Republicans have switched votes in large #s, presumably to give the far-left an opportunity to expose their radicalism without actually putting Cheney at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe Republicans realize their party is in trouble and Cheney has disgraced it and they might extricate themselves more smoothly from this history if they have a fall guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That's definitely not the reason.

They're hoping to expose the far left's influence over the Democratic Party.

[/ QUOTE ]
If only the far left did have some control of that party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying. The lefties on blogs like Daily Kos certainly don't like Pelosi and the leadership. They expected their important role in getting the Democrats control of the Congress would pay off with their agenda getting passed. Instead, the Congress has been a big mess.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i hear that a lot from liberals I know, then when I ask them to explain their hatred they give me this look like 'are you serious?' and then tell me something about him being evil complete with shot in the face comment. They can never answer my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, kind of like asking people why they voted for Bushie in 2004 "OMG John Kerry would have been the worst president EVAR."

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's exactly like that, but I still haven't got an an answer.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, it appears Republicans have switched votes in large #s, presumably to give the far-left an opportunity to expose their radicalism without actually putting Cheney at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe Republicans realize their party is in trouble and Cheney has disgraced it and they might extricate themselves more smoothly from this history if they have a fall guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That's definitely not the reason.

They're hoping to expose the far left's influence over the Democratic Party.

[/ QUOTE ]
If only the far left did have some control of that party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you're saying. The lefties on blogs like Daily Kos certainly don't like Pelosi and the leadership. They expected their important role in getting the Democrats control of the Congress would pay off with their agenda getting passed. Instead, the Congress has been a big mess.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't read those blogs, but I get what you mean. And it's not even that much of "kooky left wing" stuff that people want. Just some progress towards fixing what the Bush Admin has done. You're right though, it's a big damn mess.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 PM

Taken from http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...007-11-06.html

"House Republicans on Tuesday prevented Democratic leaders from blocking a resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney.

The vote to table the privileged resolution, offered by Ohio Democrat Dennis Kucinch, began as a largely party-line vote to kill the measure, but Republicans developed a strategy to force Democrats to debate the resolution by supporting Kucinich. GOP leaders felt as though it was in their interest to debate the measure because it would make Democrats look bad.

After more than an hour of waiting for the vote to close, the motion to table the resolution failed by a vote of 162-251 after Democratic leaders failed to convince a group of liberal caucus members to side with them.

Republican lawmakers and aides credited Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz.) for coming up with the idea."
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It specifically says in the constitution

[/ QUOTE ]

the what? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taken from http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...007-11-06.html

"House Republicans on Tuesday prevented Democratic leaders from blocking a resolution to impeach Vice President Dick Cheney.

The vote to table the privileged resolution, offered by Ohio Democrat Dennis Kucinch, began as a largely party-line vote to kill the measure, but Republicans developed a strategy to force Democrats to debate the resolution by supporting Kucinich. GOP leaders felt as though it was in their interest to debate the measure because it would make Democrats look bad.

After more than an hour of waiting for the vote to close, the motion to table the resolution failed by a vote of 162-251 after Democratic leaders failed to convince a group of liberal caucus members to side with them.

Republican lawmakers and aides credited Rep. John Shadegg (R-Ariz.) for coming up with the idea."

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I am uber-confused. All but 4 Dem's vote yay and all but 5 Repub's vote nay and they blame passage on...THE REPUBLICANS?!?! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I did not think this was how voting worked.

Edit: Maybe I have it backwards...I cannot figure out what is going on here. If the Dems think it will make them look bad then how did it [censored] come up in the first place? Idiots.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Maybe I have it backwards...I cannot figure out what is going on here. If the Dems think it will make them look bad then how did it [censored] come up in the first place? Idiots.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was great polical gamesmahship.

Dennis Kucinich made the initial proposal without the support of the Democratic leadership. Everybody expected the bill to be tabled without a fuss.

The Republicans said "Hey. Let's vote for it and make the Democrats debate impeachment on the House floor. They'll look ridiculous." Most Republicans changed their votes and the motion to table the bill failed.

The Democrats, who seem to agree they would look ridiculous, then motioned to refer it to committee. They managed to organize themselves and nearly all voted to refer it (kill it).

Basically, the Republicans tried to give the Democrats a national stage to talk about how much they hate Dick Cheney and the Bush Administration and the Democrats said "We're not that dumb".
Old 11-06-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was great polical gamesmahship.

Dennis Kucinich made the initial proposal without the support of the Democratic leadership. Everybody expected the bill to be tabled without a fuss.

The Republicans said "Hey. Let's vote for it and make the Democrats debate impeachment on the House floor. They'll look ridiculous." Most Republicans changed their votes and the motion to table the bill failed.

The Democrats, who seem to agree they would look ridiculous, then motioned to refer it to committee. They managed to organize themselves and nearly all voted to refer it (kill it).

Basically, the Republicans tried to give the Democrats a national stage to talk about how much they hate Dick Cheney and the Bush Administration and the Democrats said "We're not that dumb".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's this afternoon of "political gamesmanship", as opposed to trying to pass meaningful legislation, that is causing Congress to have a lower approval rating than Bush.

For the love of god, they spent time this afternoon passing some type of motion that officially congratulates the Red Sox.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, it's exactly like that, but I still haven't got an an answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
He's second in command in an adminstration that has

1) started a war/occupation in Iraq that they knew would end up a quagmire under blatently false pretenses
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6BEsZMvrq-I

2) Tortured POWs using the same methods we convicted the Japanese of war crimes for using in WW2 (not to mention being against the Geneva Convention).
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/...ure/index.html

3) Refuses to ever speak before congress as much as humanly possible, to the point of making the assanine statement that he isn't part of the executive branch
http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/08/21...ecutive-branch/

4) Using illlegal wiretapping on US citizens to the point of paying phone companies to set them up
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/For_on...arry_1016.html

5) Grown the size of the Executive branch more then any other administration in history.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/25/books/...amp;exprod=digg

6) Turned Afghanastan into a gigantic scam for contractors
http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=13518

7) Is arguing against American citizen's right to Habeus Corpus
http://www.consortiumnews.com/2007/011807.html

8) Instructed the media to sell a War in Iran
http://adereview.com/blog/?p=24

9) Pushed people in agencies under their control to put out pro-war messages about Iraq
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...?referrer=digg

I think that's a good enough start to call someone evil. And before you say he's just a vice president, he's the most powerful Vice President in US history. And I'm not a liberal FWIW.