Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Ethics of datamining on stars?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, All that we have that seperates us from the scum like RayBornet is the T&C's. If we condone breaking one Term, then it becomes a moral free-for-all.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying someone who is caught speeding is in the same catgory as a murderer?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's not a terribly helpful comment. It's meaningless to translate dataminer=speeder, botter=murderer.

I agree that botting does much more harm than datamining. However, this doesn't refute the point I am making, and does not make breaking T&C's OK.

[/ QUOTE ]actually it was a perfect analogy. With that said, I do agree with your overall point.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM

It is nevertheless a clear breach of TOS and in breaching it you give yourself an unfair advantage over the players (such as myself for example) who observe the rules of the site. The usual name for this is cheating - the fact that it is prevalent makes no ethical difference - see Ben Johnson in 1988 Olympics and every Tour de France..

It might not seen to be be 'as wrong' as botting but arguably it could be seen worse than running multiple accounts in MTT's - for which ZJ was crucified of course.

There really isn't much room for moral relativism here - it's cheating, you know it's cheating and you shouldn't do it.

On BTP anyone even suggesting that this sort of conduct is OK when it is specifically banned by the site will get a poster a warning and then a ban (I know because I mod the PT section there).

The laissez faire-atttitude to cheating even amongst mods is frankly one of the worst attributes of 2+2.

Show a little moral leadership occasionally guys please..
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM

To say, that is the rule and if you do not respect him is not the real problem.

There are a lot of people who " cheat " by datamining.
So the honest guys here have a problem faced to all ( they are numerous ) guys who datamines. The rule can't be performed.

So ok, we know, everybody know what is the rule. But the problem is that the rule is not good ( since, if you keep attention, the cheaters get an unfair advantage with it ! ).

That is the real problem
Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM

If Pokerstars really gave a crap about people datamining they'd stop it from being possible or punish people who do it.

they do neither
Old 01-13-2007, 07:06 AM

And this argument differs from drugs in sports exactly how?

Or bots?

Or multi-accounters?

Just because 'lots of other people do something that is wrong' doesn't make your doing it ethical - or are you really so badly brought up that you have no idea of right and wrong?

Lots of people are racist too - does that make it OK?
Lots of people cheat the taxman and cheat on their spouses.

Lots of Hutus killed Tutsis in the genocide in Rwanda wihtout any fear of legal sanction etc..

Ethical action doesn't depend either on the likelihood of sanction or whether other people are doing the same.

Ask Lee Jones if he allows datamining? He will say 'no' - that's clear enough for me - datamining on Stars is cheating and you can't wriggle out of it.. if you don't like the rules play somewhere else.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:52 AM

Excession, don't be so nervous.

I explained I play somewhere else because I know it is easy to cheat . Can I be more clear ?

( so easy that it seems a lot do it, if you read well forums. And I wont play cahs games at Stars until any news about that )

That is why I say the rule is not good... godmanit