Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Default What should I look for?

In the last days I decided to be focused just on PLO and LO8, basically cause Stud players told me that I will not learn something playing in the last stakes level on PS. Probably this is true also on LO8, but I can say that people usually play with more brain at this game, even in the lowest stakes.

My problem with LO8 is that I read Ciaffone's part about that game but I still have some doubts about starting hands. Reading Ciaffone (which are just no more that 20 pages) it seems that if you want to play LO8 you have to be a rock. It seems that you have to wait just A2 (better if suited) and, nevertheless it is not enough because it is better if you have also a 3. Now, it sounds like writing about NLHE that you have to wait for AA. Obviously this is not Ciaffone's idea but I am still not able to look in the correct way to an average(!) LO8 starting hand in a multiway pot in a Loose game.

What should I look for?
Can you give some keys?
Practical example: what is your opinion about 4Ks5Q in M-position [just to have a basic concept]?

Thank you at all... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: What should I look for?

maybe try the following trick: with any hand you hold you try to think of flops that fit well with your hand in order to scoop the pot (and then figure out how likely it is that you get such a flop).

practical example: K4sQ5s

you basicly need an ace and a 2 or 3 on the flop or you wont be in good shape with your low (obviously an A, 2 and 3 is perfect).

for high you are basicly looking for flushdraws BUT even if you flop a FD it will rarely be the nutflushdraw (and that sucks).

now even without doing the maths its quite easy to figure out that there wont be many flops that fit very well with your hand (ie decent high and low), quite a few where you might play an expensive 2nd best and even more where preselecting the check/fold button seems the best choice.

concl: easy muck in middle position and also in late. but i guess i wouldnt be able to resist completing it in the sb (not sure if thats really +ev).
Old 10-27-2007, 05:00 PM

I like Olrik's trick a lot. Use your imagination to come up with favorable flops for the hand you have. The usual cast of characters for potential flops should include at least a couple of the following:

* Nut flush or nut flush draw
* Straight that precludes a low
* A high set (Js or better)
* Nut low or nut low draw

If your ideal imagainary flop is looking for the following, be more inclined to toss it unless your implied odds are really really good

* Nut low involving two specific ranks falling
* Nut flush draw if the ace falls
* Wrap straight that includes a low you are unlikely to get
* A set below J's

And stop kicking yourself when you throw away flopped quads below Js. I think you are about 3 in 1000 to flop quads.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:10 PM

Thank you.

I think my first problem is with the Low part in general, probably because I play almost always PLO. For example, if I have Axs with one low card (even 6) I call. None the less, everytime I call I have the feeling that I am doing something wrong and that a good LO8 cannot call with this kind of hand. Basically it is very rare that I have the feeling that I am playing in a good way pre-flop.

Usually I have no problems post-flop cause it is a matter of logic: when something goes bad it is because I misjudge my hand (the low part)... so it is a pre-flop decision the cause of everything.

Can I summarize the situation saying that if I have to think about scoop I have to look for a very good low hand (sure I will do) or it is better to focusing with big cards just on the High part? I moticed that people loose a lot hoping in longshots with strange low parts.
So... nothing with high cards of the low part (6,7 or 8) without an Ace!