Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]
In any case a system that allows people willing and able to arrange notepads to do better then people understand the subject far better is aweful for science education and a disaster because it fills the world with people who value presentation over content.

[/ QUOTE ]

But as Andy has said, this is also the case in some private schools. This is an individual teacher and student here.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In any case a system that allows people willing and able to arrange notepads to do better then people understand the subject far better is aweful for science education and a disaster because it fills the world with people who value presentation over content.

[/ QUOTE ]

But as Andy has said, this is also the case in some private schools. This is an individual teacher and student here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, I'm not arguing state vs fee-paying except that if you pay you can chose.

The UK used to have a much deserved very high reputation for meaningful qualifications has had this ruined by grade inflation. Like the easy printing of money the government found short term votes in 'improving' education by ensuring more and more passed exams with higher grades. The method is to increasingly measure things that require very little ability or knowledge (as before this is popular so people going private will pay for it as well).

Maybe some don't think this is a disaster, I do. it would make me very angry if I wasn't still thinking about the rugby.

chez