Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting

Old 09-09-2007, 11:51 AM

Default 6 Teams to not make the playoffs- OFFICIAL THREAD

Here was the original thread: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post11970232

I figured we could use this thread to track everyone's progress throughout the year. Here are the official picks below. If I have made a mistake, then please let me know ASAP.

<u>Omahahahaha</u>
$200

Miami
Cleveland
Oakland
Green Bay
New York Giants
Kansas City

<u>Kdog</u>
$250

Atlanta
Buffalo
Cleveland
Detroit
Miami
Oakland

<u>NajdorfDefense</u>
$400

Miami
Houston
Oakland
Cleveland
Atlanta
Detroit

<u>Lpmatt</u>
$200

Cleveland
Houston
Buffalo
Atlanta
Oakland
Tennessee

<u>Methodz</u>
$200

Cleveland
Houston
Oakland
Tennessee
Buffalo
Atlanta

<u>trixtrix</u>
$2000

Buffalo
Cleveland
Houston
Tennessee
Kansas City
Oakland

<u>Amerzel</u>
$400

Atlanta
Miami
Oakland
Buffalo
Cleveland
Houston

Methodz and NajdorfDefense have asked Performify to hold the money for us. Therefore, I will soon be sending Performify $600($200+$400) on Stars. Performify please let me know when they have sent it to you as well. If I win the bet, I will be leaving Performify a small tip, and I would encourage you two to do the same should you win. All of the rest of the participants have chosen to exchange info and go by the honor system.

Broken down into teams, here is how many times each team was picked among the 7 entries:

Cleveland 7
Oakland 7
Houston 5
Atlanta 5
Buffalo 5
Miami 4
Tennessee 3
Detroit 2
Kansas City 2
Green Bay 1
New York Giants 1

Now a brief history on the bet....

It started 3 years ago with a buddy of mine. I challenged him to name 5 teams that wouldn't make the playoffs. No money was bet, just bragging rights. The SD Chargers went from 4-12 to 12-4 and lost him the bet.

Two years ago I went onto footballguys and challenged people to the bet. I searched for the old thread, but they routinely delete old threads to save space and I think thats what happened to it. Long story short, I got quite a few members there to bet me small amounts(I think $50 was the most bet by anyone) and astoundingly nobody even got 4 out of their 5 correct. IIRC the Bears, Giants, and Redskins ruined things for almost everyone.

I tried making the thread on footballguys again last year, but the mods there didn't like it and deleted it. Nevertheless, I challenged my buddy Robert(miami32 on these forums) to the bet for $1000. The Jets lost it for him, although he won a separate football bet against me, so we broke even.

I decided that 5 teams wasn't enough assurance for me, so as you can see I upped it to 6 this year.

Anyway, good luck to you all. I'm sure it'll be interesting to follow throughout the year. For the record, the picks that I think are the best are Houston and Cleveland because their divisions are too stacked for them to make a run at things. I think that Tennessee, Atlanta, and maybe even Oakland could cause some of you guys to lose the bet. I'm also very surprised that nobody picked Minnesota.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Default Re: 6 Teams to not make the playoffs- OFFICIAL THREAD

go browns.

interesting bet, too...i offered my brother this bet, and he's supposed to call me before 1pm.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:26 PM

atlanta is going to ruin this for a lot of people.

Michael Vick wasn't really any good. as an ATL people who watched them every week, subbing in Joey harrington is not going to hurt us. Vick hamstrung our team in so many ways, but o0o0o0o0o0o run fast dodge slip, so he must be good.

ATL's schedule is really easy. 9-7 will make the playoffs for us, and i predict that ATL ruins this bet for most of you.

this bet is a study in variance methinks. congrats on the hustle assani, bc that's what i think this is.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:21 PM

my brother took the browns, bills, raiders, falcons, texans and chiefs.

seems like free money, and i wish i could've offered more people this...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:01 PM

Oh sorry I missed this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I know it's too late now but I'd have probably gone all-AFC - Bills, Chiefs, Texans, Titans, Browns &amp; Raiders.
Miami has a bad OL but outside of that they're not terrible &amp; a Jets-like streak of last yr I think is possible...losing to Wash obv. not a good start though.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Michael Vick wasn't really any good. as an ATL people who watched them every week, subbing in Joey harrington is not going to hurt us. Vick hamstrung our team in so many ways, but o0o0o0o0o0o run fast dodge slip, so he must be good.

ATL's schedule is really easy. 9-7 will make the playoffs for us, and i predict that ATL ruins this bet for most of you.

this bet is a study in variance methinks. congrats on the hustle assani, bc that's what i think this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the one that worries me is Detroit. Their division, conference and schedule are weak enough that they could sneak in as second wild card.

Atlanta...they may not be much worse with Harrington instead of Vick but I don't see them being stronger. Vick saved a lot of drives with his legs. Harrington will have to attempt to do that with his arm and sub par receivers, something he has historically not been able to do.

The other four I chose from the AFC because the conference is loaded with good teams and it will be hard for any of last years bottom feeders to break through to the playoffs.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh sorry I missed this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I know it's too late now but I'd have probably gone all-AFC - Bills, Chiefs, Texans, Titans, Browns &amp; Raiders.
Miami has a bad OL but outside of that they're not terrible &amp; a Jets-like streak of last yr I think is possible...losing to Wash obv. not a good start though.

[/ QUOTE ]

just live vicariously through my bet.. and no i'm not selling you a piece of it..
Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 PM

Ha, nice I missed that.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow, Oak and ATL don't worry me. Famous last words, I know, but I'm much more worried [b4 today] about Houston and Det, although Lions beating Oak doesn't bother me as one of them had to win.

I considered Minny, but a great D and 2 good RBs is a nice combo.

Joey Harrington won't hurt you. Do you mean physically or psychically?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:30 PM

Joey Harrington kills the Falcons. Matt Schaub would've too. The rest of the offense was not structured to function with a standard quarterback.

People were even saying that Mike Vick couldn't scramble considering how much he got sacked. Harrington got laid 6 times today behind that line. Dunn was getting 2.5 ypc. The receivers still dropped passes and caused picks (I'm looking at you Jenkins).