CO: 28,244
Hero (BTN): 15,302
SB: 9,189
BB: 14,303
UTG: 7,365
UTG+1: 14,765
MP1: 18,402
MP2: 21,161

Pre-Flop: (1,800) Ah Qs dealt to Hero (BTN)
5 folds, Hero raises to 2,400, SB calls 2,000, BB raises to 14,228 and is All-In, 2 folds

Results: 7,800 Pot
BB mucked and WON 7,800 (+5,325 NET)
Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Re: whats your play ???

Any reads on hero here? he could be on a resteal here, but me I think it is a easy fold for me. I think at best it is a flip and he could easily have u crushed with qq-aa and ak
Old 11-15-2007, 05:04 AM

Any reads would be nice, and what reads do they have on you?

This looks like a standard squeeze to me. You try to steal the blinds, SB have a decent hand and calls, BB pushes to steal. I would whould make that move with any two cards if I didn't respect you raise. So if you are a little loose trying to steal a little to often I would play the hand just like BB did.
Therefore, I think you should call. You will see a lot of trash here, a lot of AJ, AT, KQ and PP making it an easy call.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 AM

I think this is totally read dependent. If BB is tight,this is an easy fold,you'd be at best in a coinflip,if he's capable of making a move,then you can think about calling,I do think you'll see AK alot here though
Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Yes, this is completely read dependent and it depends just as much on BB's read on you (as Raven said) as on your read on him (as Kenny said).

If I'm the BB there with his stack, I'd be itching to make a move like this with a very wide range IF you have been at all aggressive (and it wouldn't be out of character for you to be stealing blinds there). But if he's been straightforward or if you've been tight, that narrows his range.

So let's try two:

Loose BB range: 77+,A7s+,KTs+,ATo+,KQo: Your AQ has 52% equity and this is obviously an easy call.

Tight BB range: TT+,AJs+,AQo+: You have 37% equity.

Pot odds are:

If SB folds, about 1.6:1... you need to win about 38% of the time ti break even, so you're getting appropriate odds. And given that he may not be this tight, I think this is a pretty clear call.

But what about it the SB comes along? Now your pot odds are about 2.3:1. Any ideas on a range for him on 11 BBs calling pf and then calling a push and a call? I'd have to think it would be pretty tight unless he's been loose and donkish. I'm going with 88+,AJs,AQo (too tight here? too loose?)

Anyway, vs this tight range (and using the looser range for the BB) you now have 26% equity and would need to be getting 3:1 for the call to be correct (which you're not).

So the presence of the SB in the pot complicates this immensely.

All things considered, I think I call here. Tough spot though.

Regardless, you shouldn't be raising without a plan for what you're going to do if you get repopped behind you (and stack sizes make that very probable here).
Old 11-15-2007, 11:23 AM

I would have played the hand differently. I don't want smaller stacks making moves on me late in a tournament. I had a bigger stack than either the SB or BB and I would have pushed all in with AQ from the button.

This eliminates the resteal opportunity from either of them and it also disguises my hand. They think I am bullying and they might call with a small A because they think I am making a move.

Since their tournament is on the line, they really only should call with AK or maybe a pair of 8s or better. That is only 7 hands that they should call with where we are losing going in. What's more if they call with the pair we are still a race to win.

I like to make the other player make the bad call for all his chips, not me.

Weirdrash
http://www.bettingforvalue.com
Old 11-15-2007, 01:43 PM

thanks everyone for their comments. it was a frustrating hand because i was just move to the table and didnt have any knowledge of players at the table. i think that it was the perfect squeeeze plauy and that i was ahead of his range but the sb cold call with around 10bb puzzled me. why is he folding in that spot when he called the first raise oop???????
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM

i can see some sence in shoving it
especially since we just moved to this table
it indeed disquises or hand (even tho its not super strong)
but you will get more weaker hands to call
and putting the though decision in the hands of villians

but when ur not new to the table
this would a fold/call read dependend
Old 11-15-2007, 02:11 PM

I think I generally call this. There are four hands that suck, good pot odds to take on a coinflip and some chance of dominating BB.

However, you have to analyse the position you put yourself in. You made a standard 3x raise. When Ms are low you have to throw out the standard raise and make raise related to the stacks.

In this situation, consider what might have changed if your raise was to 4000 instead. Is SB going to call off half his stack? Probably not, he is going to fold or move in. If he folds, is BB going to move in now? With about 6000 in the pot his 14K shove is not going to have the same fold equity. If he does still shove, you will have a 20K pot with a 10K call. If SB shoves and BB folds, you have to call 5K into a 12K pot.

That's make life easier doesn't it?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM

yes it does great point!!!!