Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM

Default 10/25 NL live simple 3-bet situation

Foxwoods 10/25, 10-handed.

Villain is a decent player, and sees me as mostly playing solid hands but occasionally getting tricky. Reads are from previous sessions, because he just sat down at this table.

Villain has 3000, I cover.

I am on the cutoff with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop
Villain raises from MP to 100. I reraise to 350 and villain calls without thinking about it too much.

Flop (725): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Villain checks. Should I check here or bet? I am thinking check, but just want to make sure. I think he will fold QQ if I bet, but I may be able to extract some value from it later if I check. And if he has AK I can get value now or later. Since the stacks are not terribly deep, it doesn't seem too important to start building a pot here. And I don't really see any turn cards killing my action.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: 10/25 NL live simple 3-bet situation

Checking the flop and trying to get the money in later looks notably stronger than just betting the flop.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:54 AM

why are you 3 betting preflop?

as played, bet.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why are you 3 betting preflop?

as played, bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because villain just sat down at the table and he doesn't see me as being out of line. It should be maximal EV to apply pressure before the flop and on almost any flop. This flop is obviously special because I hit it so hard.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 PM

preflop sucks imo

bet the flop
Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
preflop sucks imo

bet the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how preflop can suck. This was a situation where reraising preflop seemed like a good idea with a wide range of hands (possibly everything). Am I turning my 99 into a bluff and that is what you don't like?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Checking the flop and trying to get the money in later looks notably stronger than just betting the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

well put
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM

preflop doesnt "suck" its just really tough to pull off linear 3bet ranges.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:06 PM

I don't like preflop either. Seems people on 2p2 have aversions to flopping sets and burying people. Why try and hammer him out of the pot pre? He isn't at this table long so it cannot be evident to you that your three bet is getting called, and if he has a big hand he's going to body-slam you right off it.

As for the flop, please bet. He is not putting you on 99 if you bet this flop, and will call lighter then you think. On the other hand, contrary to what you say, there are cards that will kill your action on the turn (spade, A, etc)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 AM

Calling a raise here to set mine is usually the standard play in a 10 handed game but you need to mix in your line here as a 3 bet sometimes to stay deceptive. If you are always calling raises with pocket pairs ranging from 2's - 10-s in position you are not going to be flopping sets enough times for the call to be profitable. 3 betting here preflop is also great because you can win the pot on the flop w/o flopping a set now bc you can rep AA, KK, AK.

Anyway, on to the hand. I would never check this flop especially with position. Live players hate checking and folding especially if they've already put 350 dollars in there preflop. Most look for excuses to "protect" their money and have a knack for always assuming people are trying to bluff them. So, my rationale is to punish people that think this way by making them play big pots with me when I flop huge.

Another reason why I would never check this flop is because your hand is so disguised that villain would never be able to put you on a set of 9's and there are scared cards on the turn that can kill your action, As, 10s, any Ace that can come.

I see your line of thinking as logical as well though, you don't want to villain checking and folding a hand like QQ or JJ here which is understandable but I would try getting alot of money on this flop in case villain has bottom set AK, KQ or AA.

Sorry if my response is all over the place, I just kept writing what I was thinking and didn't go back to edit.