Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 05:48 PM

Default $5.50 - AKs in SB, is this a fold?

ok, I got this hand in a spot where you almost always want to reraise. My 'M' at this point was strong (about 40), so I knew I wasn't desperate to accumulate chips. If I reraised this person, I thought they would for sure be all in (because the massive preflop raise was semi-commiting). On the other hand, if I flat called, I would have commited 10% of my stack to play AK out of position potentially against the limper and obviously against the raiser. I felt I had enough chips to not need a race at this point in the tournament (which I'm about 80% sure this player had 99-JJ). So how would you approach this horrible spot?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t4505)
MP3 (t9760)
CO (t3490)
Button (t3240)
Jon_AK (t3090)
BB (t3430)
UTG (t3530)
UTG+1 (t6080)
MP1 (t3790)

Preflop: Jon_AK is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font> <font color="#CC3333">Jon_AK??????????</font>

EDIT: CO's PF RAISE % = 5% AT THE TIME OF THIS HAND
Old 11-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: $5.50 - AKs in SB, is this a fold?

reraise to 900 and call a push
Old 11-24-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise to 900 and call a push

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Putting in 18 BB's preflop when I can flatcall, leaving myself plenty of chips (my M would be 37 if I flatcall and fold post flop) if I wiff the flop and fold to a c-bet??????? (not sure if a probe bet from me after a useless flop would be advisable, given my read... unless of course I catch flush draw)

If I do reraise, and get flat called by CO, I will STILL have nearly 30 laps around the table at the current blind level if something awful of a flop comes... I don't see a preflop jam-gamble neccesary here...

If you want to go over my response and tell me where I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I reraised this person, I thought they would for sure be all in (because the massive preflop raise was semi-commiting).

[/ QUOTE ]

He's only put 10% of his stack in with his preflop raise, so he's not close to be "committed." Do u really think he's shoving 99 here if u make it 1000-1200? If u narrow his range to 99-JJ (which i think is way too small) then you're going to put him to a really, really tough decision here if u 3-bet him. Unless he's a nit, folding here is way too weak, and calling kinda sucks OOP. Your equity + FE makes 3-betting/calling a shove here EV+ IMO.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:03 PM

You say that with you M=40 you are not desperate to accumulate chips. There's a massive flaw in this argument.You've got AK for goodness sake,it's a big hand. If you are laying this down then I don't really see what hands you are playing when you are bigstack...and you are actually not that bigstacked anyway,look at a couple of the other players at the table.

Anyway....calling is just too weak.You are ahead of his range,and you got FE,so this is a supereasy raise every time. Besides the fact that you probably have the best hand,you are OOP.Why would you want to call? If you do,and then miss the flop,I assume you plan on c/f. Guarantee that he'll cbet,and then you are giving him the pot,and he'll win with the worse hand alot here if that's how you play it.

Like erc007 says,if you 3bet,he'll have a really tough decision even if he has a good hand,he'll throw away a lot of pairs,and that's what you want.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like erc007 says,if you 3bet,he'll have a really tough decision even if he has a good hand,he'll throw away a lot of pairs,and that's what you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
If he folded, it would be the first time I ever saw someone at a $5.50 fold preflop after raising 6 BB's in the first hour of the tournament.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious? Putting in 18 BB's preflop when I can flatcall, leaving myself plenty of chips

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Can't recall the author (Cloutier, perhaps?), but the statement was something to the effect of: "don't build a big pot pre-flop with A-K when you have plenty of chips to bet with after the flop." Maybe I'm gun-shy from all the times I've been busted going all-in pre-flop with A-K, but unless I'm getting short-stacked, I hate that play.

The fact that there was still a player to act after you also complicates the situation.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Don't pass up opportunities to build a stack early. I re-raise this every time in a low level MTT....and I'll get them all in preflop if challenged. Read the post by Woodguy in the MTT wisdom thread on not passing up opportuities like this ...it'll change your life.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:20 PM

So, assuming we 3-bet and the other guy just calls, how do we play this post flop?
Old 11-24-2007, 09:28 PM

id raise enough so an open shove is appropriate on flop. make it 1.2k. call shove or shove flop