Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: A coincidence that bothers me

[ QUOTE ]
The Moon used to be much closer to the Earth and is moving away. It just happens to be at this time that it appears to be the same size as the Sun.

[/ QUOTE ]

The coincidence is that it is happening at the same time that humans come into existence on this planet. What makes it a big deal is that from a geologic time perspective humans have existed on this planet for only a tiny iota of an instance. The earth and moon come from the original cast.

I suspect that its a pretty huge long shot for life to develope on any planet. Of all the planets that develope life, I suspect its a huge long shot for that life to evolve intelligence equal to that of modern human beings.

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you make this dishonest thread? This doesn't actually bother you, you're just trying to make a point to show that your stance on creationism is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm comfortable with the ideal that the universe and that which it contains, came into existence via a process of emergence. However since you bring up the point, I will agree that the more astronomical long shots that come in, the more you have to consider the possibility of an active designer.

What kind of parlayed long shots would you need to see come in before you began to think it was more likely the universe was designed rather than emerged?

Stu
Old 11-10-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean, you could say it is a bigger coincidence that earth is a habitable planet; it is just the right distance, size and atmosphere to support life

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another coincidence(although this one doesn't bother me too much). The currently accepted theory for the formation of our moon is that at one time the earth was struck by another Mars sized planet. When this Mars sized planet collided with earth it had to do so at a very specific angle otherwise a moon would not have formed. I've heard this collision described as "a very lucky shot".

Stu
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another coincidence(although this one doesn't bother me too much). The currently accepted theory for the formation of our moon is that at one time the earth was struck by another Mars sized planet. When this Mars sized planet collided with earth it had to do so at a very specific angle otherwise a moon would not have formed. I've heard this collision described as "a very lucky shot".

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Another look states that the moon which at that time was separate from the sun separated from the earth thus leaving 3 distinct bodies, sun, earth, moon.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Using wikipedia numbers I get that the sun is 389.17 times as far away as the moon. The sun is 400.67 times as big.

If they were significantly closer I would agree, but those numbers are far enough apart that it's just a coincidence and probably has no real implications.

[/ QUOTE ]

God rounds.

EDIT: Liberally.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Using wikipedia numbers I get that the sun is 389.17 times as far away as the moon. The sun is 400.67 times as big.

If they were significantly closer I would agree, but those numbers are far enough apart that it's just a coincidence and probably has no real implications.

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon you can find some data much more significantly closer if you just keep looking. Must try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the numbers have at least 6 decimal places. Unless the numbers are wrong, the answer can't be much closer than what I figured, unless I screwed up somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
not the precision of the measurements but the quantity of them. Measure enough paramteres of enough objects and you'll find any plenty of 'significant' closeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

As anyone who argues about sports can surely attest.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
C'mon you can find some data much more significantly closer if you just keep looking. Must try harder.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the numbers have at least 6 decimal places. Unless the numbers are wrong, the answer can't be much closer than what I figured, unless I screwed up somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
not the precision of the measurements but the quantity of them. Measure enough paramteres of enough objects and you'll find any plenty of 'significant' closeness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my bad. I thought you were disagreeing with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know that the ratio of the size of Jupiter to the size of Texas is NOT a multiple of 6? WTF is up with that, ya know?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i mean, you could say it is a bigger coincidence that earth is a habitable planet; it is just the right distance, size and atmosphere to support life

[/ QUOTE ]

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Imagine all the planets that werent so lucky.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 AM

Hi Vhawk

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Planets don't experience luck, people do. Life and the human race are the ones who benefited from the "luck" of that cosmic shot.

Stu
Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Vhawk

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Planets don't experience luck, people do. Life and the human race are the ones who benefited from the "luck" of that cosmic shot.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL imagine all the possible life that wasnt so lucky.

Happy?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:30 AM

And of course when shown that these numbers are not so elegant as you thought, you will reject your hypothesis - am I correct?