Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: AK Post: I\'m posting this as new because I\'m tired of it

I was just being a nit because I feel like you are being a bit of one. I agree with your post, but am not so sure that a post like this will have many positive consequences.

If anything, it might scare people off from making posts that they think may be perceived as stupid, yet they are still in the dark when it comes to the answer.

I'm just not sure if that's what this forum is for.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have AK with an M of 8 - ??. There's a push in front of you with an M of 10. There's another call with M of 15. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. It's late. It's early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started reading the MTT Strategy Forum so obv I've not seen the weight of these post that appear to be frustrating you. However I think you'd be better off getting more to the point and less cute. As penned I'm a bit confused, you are trying to clubber folks with a bombstick for folding AK?
Well if that's the case the above example leaves me cold, it's late, it's early... OK whatever... but you are most likely behind the guy that's got an M of 15 and folding here will not send you to hell.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have AK with an M of 8 - ??. There's a push in front of you with an M of 10. There's another call with M of 15. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. It's late. It's early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started reading the MTT Strategy Forum so obv I've not seen the weight of these post that appear to be frustrating you. However I think you'd be better off getting more to the point and less cute. As penned I'm a bit confused, you are trying to clubber folks with a bombstick for folding AK?
Well if that's the case the above example leaves me cold, it's late, it's early... OK whatever... but you are most likely behind the guy that's got an M of 15 and folding here will not send you to hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ being most likely behind the flat caller.

"behind" with overlay is fine as long as you're not bitched.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be nice, or he'll "clubber you with a bombstick" [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

-ZEN
Old 11-07-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I understand that, but my point was a call that would send you to hell. There are degree of good and bad...
or gooddr or badder if you prefer..
Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will also add that the most influential posts that I've read which at least make me feel like a major player in most tournaments are the ones that are tough and a little condescending.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear god yes. If I post a hand that is so poorly misplayed that you question how I possibly have the intelligence to dress myself in the morning, much less play winning poker, I'd like to know that. "You probably should have folded that, friend" will not have the same impact as "There is no way you can ever win a poker tournament playing like this you massive donkey. PS what site do you play on so i can come destroy you and take your money"

There's no need to be rude, necessarily, but if you want to get better you have to take some heat to get the point sometimes.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just don't think someone should have a condescending tone while getting basic grammar wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on - this is an international forum and with many posters (just like me), whose native language isn't english.
If grammar is that important for you I suggest you post here in the future:

http://www.englishforums.com/English...ns/Forum12.htm
Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Barry...the reason you see a lot of these AK threads is because once a player makes the transition from level 1 donk to level 2 early stage thinker, it throws everything he thinks he knew about poker in the air. His is relearning how to play and AK is one of those hands that confuse people the most.

AK feels so good but it's not yet a made hand and you typically have to put a lot at stake with it. This is the first stage to understanding what it really means to play +EV.

I see someone who asks questions about AK as someone who is becoming a better player but is not quite there yet. They understand they have to take risks based on return. AK is the gateway.

I believe Soulman or Clayton made a post about this last year where he wrote about the stages of development a 2+2 poster goes through. It was a great read but I can't find it now.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I understand that, but my point was a call that would send you to hell. There are degree of good and bad...
or gooddr or badder if you prefer..

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I'm not trying to get cute. This is a post dealing primarily with pscyhology and how it can deter you from not seeing viable +EV moves. I mean, to all newbs or relatively nascent posters, how are you going to see +EV moves with marginal or relatively strong hands if you are questioning what to do with AKo with an M of 8 - 20? Because, I can promise you that players who go deep regularly and who are getting their $s worth in MTTs see plays like this as the tip of an iceberg of moves they make.

Let me put it for you this way - I probably cost myself hundreds of buyins in expected value in MTTs making heroic folds with AK or QQ earlier on when playing. Looking at poker in terms of EV now, I feel like I wasted countless hours of my time in terms of $.

Some players will fold AK here because it's "early" and they'd rather "push" rather than call into a lot of heat. Others will fold "late" because, as it is "late," the key is to survive to the final table. Or because they don't want to waste 3.5 hours of their time making a bad call down.

I'm sure there are rare examples where you should fold AK preflop against heat. I mean, ok, so you are at 6000 chips with 30/60 and the action goes raise, three bet, four bet all in from UTG to MP2, well, that's not a bad time to fold AK. That should cause an alarm. But, the default should be that you're going to get it in, you're going to take the +EV move, and you're going to pick up a big stack and optimize it depending on what table you're at.

If you aren't willing to suffer some pain after losing with AK in a tournament, you are in a lot of trouble.

Anyway, this post wasn't meant to create a galla of critiques on tone and grammar. I guess next time I do an OP like this, I will stick to rote analysis based on an objective tone.

Barry
Old 11-07-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, this post wasn't meant to create a galla of critiques on tone and grammar. I guess next time I do an OP like this, I will stick to rote analysis based on an objective tone.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

You lost me in the original post; however the follow up helps me understand the context. Agree 100% if you are not willing to die you'll never do very well in poker, from a psychology point of view I often think folks have separation anxiety from their entry fees. They rather creep into the money short stacked and earn 20% on their entry fee as opposed to playing optimally.

Barry, thanks for the post, great job... sorry if I gave you hard time...