Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: 25nl - Top, top, 2 tone flop. Turn makes straight and I get minrai

I wouldn't fold to half pot on the turn either.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're definitely beaten.... i would check behind on the turn

[/ QUOTE ] besides the fact you saw the turn action after he bet what would make you say "you're definitely beaten"? It's the $25 and the way you beat it is to value bet people to death and fold when facing resistance. Getting scared of somebody calling your flop bet and having a scaryish card come on the turn is ridiculous.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 PM

Knowing that villain c/r turn seems to convince ppl that a check is better. In hindsight, obviously a check is better here since we know he's going to raise....but without that knowledge, we miss tons of value not betting this turn.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Givin him a free card seems so bad for me. Villain could very well have a pair and a draw and might not be willing to call another bet. Bet/fold the turn + make a note that you did so.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knowing that villain c/r turn seems to convince ppl that a check is better. In hindsight, obviously a check is better here since we know he's going to raise....but without that knowledge, we miss tons of value not betting this turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

On this particular board (which hits a LOT of hands that'd call preflop), against this particular stack size, I don't mind missing a bit of value. If we bet turn and villain folds, we haven't earned any more money. If we bet turn and villain calls, what's the plan if villain shoves river for a PSB ?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 PM

should have bet more on flop and turn. make decision easier
Old 10-24-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
should have bet more on flop and turn. make decision easier

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're fine with commiting here, I think this is good too. If you bet 2 on flop and 6 on new turn and villain doesnt have enough left to threaten you.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM

I'm curious why you bet so small on the flop. That board is drawy. Your turn bet is also awkwardly small. Don't know what I'd done on the turn. I usually play quite aggressively against half-stacks even with just TPTK, since they rarely are good players IMO. You didn't say about any reads though.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:30 AM

First, AQo UTG is such a crappy hand. If there is more than 1 half competent person at the table, you should avoid playing it in that position altogether. Seriously.

Second, maybe I'm a huge station, but I call that river bet most of the time. My hand has to be good less than 1 time in 4. Once the pot is big and my total possible equity mistake starts to approach bluffing frequency when there are broken draws and worse Q's that might play weird lines, I just call. I don't spend too much time worrying about decisions that are the difference between "is my hand good 1 time in 4" and "is my hand good 1 time in 7". Generally, the information you gain and the future bets you induce make up for that kind of equity error. Even if they don't, the equity error is small.

Finally, I like to check behind here a lot. A big draw is never going to fold and I don't want to be in the position of having to pay him off. And once we've made the pot big, it is very difficult not to pay him off. Avoid that situation altogether. If the draw comes in and he bets the pot, well, the pot is small and it's easy for me to fold. My hand wouldn't have a lot of value on that board. If no draws come in, I'm going to get value out of a bunch of top and second pairs. I'm really not losing that much value against those hands. QT is going to give me most of his stack on the river one way or another.