Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Prestigious Careers

[ QUOTE ]
Because my 3 friends who are firefighters are only firefighters because they didnt go to college, couldnt get other jobs and this job has ridiculous retirement/benefits. Now thats prestige.

[/ QUOTE ]

they risk their lives to save ppl, who cares if you didnt go to college.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because my 3 friends who are firefighters are only firefighters because they didnt go to college, couldnt get other jobs and this job has ridiculous retirement/benefits. Now thats prestige.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious to see this same poll pre 9/11, in my mind this is when people seemed to go nuts over firefighters nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in canada. I think they would have been right up there at the top regardless of 9/11 and they should be.

Also, there level of education is irrelevant. So is their motivation for becoming a fireman in the first place IMO. They risk their lives to save other peoples lifes in important ways. That deserves a high level of presitge.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they aren't as well educated or intelligent as you their job isn't prestigious? REALLY?

Your argument doesn't really make sense.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

Americans view firefighters and doctors as having the most prestigious professions, according to a recent Harris Interactive poll.

When read a list of different occupations, 63% of respondents to the telephone poll said they feel firefighters have "very great" prestige, while 58% said doctors do. Other professions that were seen as having very great prestige included: nurses (55%), scientists (54%), teachers (52%) and military officers (51%).

The occupations seen by the fewest people as having very great prestige were: real-estate brokers (6%), stockbrokers (11%), business executives (11%), actors (12%), union leaders (12%) and journalists (12%).

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you "lol"? The data you posted seems to be the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

think of the type of ppl who take the time to go through a phone survey.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

web page

Americans view firefighters and doctors as having the most prestigious professions, according to a recent Harris Interactive poll.

When read a list of different occupations, 63% of respondents to the telephone poll said they feel firefighters have "very great" prestige, while 58% said doctors do. Other professions that were seen as having very great prestige included: nurses (55%), scientists (54%), teachers (52%) and military officers (51%).

The occupations seen by the fewest people as having very great prestige were: real-estate brokers (6%), stockbrokers (11%), business executives (11%), actors (12%), union leaders (12%) and journalists (12%).

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you "lol"? The data you posted seems to be the correct answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

think of the type of ppl who take the time to go through a phone survey.

[/ QUOTE ]
GG.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there level of education is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]
Subtle level? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But yes I agree with this sentiment.

[ QUOTE ]
So is their motivation for becoming a fireman in the first place IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, a life saving yet misanthropic doctor who only became one so his father wouldn't hate him,would and should be just as prestigious in the eyes of society.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:31 PM

yeah right at nurses having high prestige
Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be curious to see this same poll pre 9/11, in my mind this is when people seemed to go nuts over firefighters nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, firefighters always had respect of the community. 9/11 just reinforced it.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've ever seen the show Rescue Me on FX it plays to this sort of thing a lot. How the firefighters got way more tail, recognition, etc (and understandably so) after 9/11. Of course they are NYPD firefighters, though I'm sure the guys fanning flames in Boise got some more cred during that time as well.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:00 AM

i certainly don't teach for the money or the prestige...any teacher will tell you it's for the summers! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] getting paid to wake up at noon, play poker all day and drink all night makes sept-may worth it...

i will say, however, that when i'm teaching, and i have literally every set of eyes in the room on me, hanging on my every word, because they're interested and learning...that's awesome. awesome.

i teach adhd kids for the most part (with autistic/bi-polar/asperger's kid thrown in), so those moments are few and far between, but i had a couple this week..and they always seem to come off the cuff...whenever i just start talking about cool [censored] i know about the world, stuff that isn't in books, they eat it up.

so yeah, i doubt 'teacher' makes it high on 'prestigious careers' lists, but there are moments where you can literally feel your worth.

then, you go home and drink.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]