Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Default Stud Hi - Low Stakes Basic Question

I'm new to stud, so I'm probably going to be posting some very standard hands as checkups. Thought process in-line...

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

<font color="blue">Well I have 3 dead diamonds, there's big cards to act behind me - but the table has been pretty loose passive. This is still totally playable here? If the table were tighter and more aggro should I be folding or raising this?</font>

4th Street - (3.10 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds

<font color="blue">Well, I *wanted* another play to come along to juice the pot odds, right? Or is just getting HU here with a decent draw optimal? Anyways, I have to chase now given pot odds (even with 3 dead diamonds), correct?</font>

5th Street - (2.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

<font color="blue"> I don't put him on split aces as I've seen him complete with big pairs on 3rd before, so I'm just betting here for value/protection with what I feel is the best hand now. I don't think I can c/r with my board, and he'll check behind often. Bad? </font>

6th Street - (4.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

<font color="blue"> Well I'm still not flush, but I think 2pair is best now, I think he's got a straight draw now, and I have a good amount of outs to a flush/boat. C'mon river...</font>

River - (6.55 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

<font color="blue"> Well crap. I missed. I don't think this guy would bluff a missed draw here, but I'm not certain. He might bet some junky two pair he rivered, so I called - but I hate calling 7th when I feel I'm beat just because of pot odds or whatever.</font>

Total pot: (8.55 BB - $17.10)

Thoughts on all streets appreciated. This is probably a pretty easy situation, but I'm posting just to make sure my thought processes and logic here and on the right track. Help!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Stud Hi - Low Stakes Basic Question

Fold third. You would have a nice drawing hand if there weren't so many diamonds and queens and jacks and Eights out. You have three middling cards.

Fourth looks like you caught good, but your Sevens are now dead, you have no pair or overcards, and your flush has 5 outs (14 percent), only slightly better than drawing to a gutshot. This hand is nothing to get tied to, and I don't think folding would be bad.

Fifth through the river are pretty normal.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:22 AM

Third is somewhat marginal with all the dead cards. I think the call is correct in part because the ante is high and your call closes the action. If you had T98 and a Queen and a Jack were gone, you'd probably play that, right? If you had a three-flush with two of your suit gone, you'd probably play that for a quarter, right? I think the combination of possibilities makes this worth a quarter.

Fourth came down as good as you could have hoped for. Three dead diamonds when you've seen as many cards as you have isn't all bad. I'd check and call, and I wouldn't get married to this hand, but you're probably seeing the river.

Definitely bet fifth. Hope the other guy folds, but you have outs if he stays with you. Definitely bet your two pair on sixth. I think checking and calling is best on the river.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Your hand is pretty on 3rd until you notice the majority of your outs are staring you in the face. Dump this dog &amp; move on.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 AM

I don't understand you guys saying fold. He can call the bring-in with that many callers to see 4th, and on 4th he has about 45 % to hit his flush by the river, so he is probably a FAVORITE to win the hand out of everyone. It's too bad no one behinds you calls the bet on 4th
Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Perfect, especially the logic.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is pretty on 3rd until you notice the majority of your outs are staring you in the face. Dump this dog &amp; move on.

[/ QUOTE ]
Making a lot of assumptions, this sim shows what kind of shape you're likely to be in in a 6-way pot. Even if someone is slowplaying and your one pair cards are not outs, this spot is why God made suited connectors.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, good stuff. That sim was eye opening as well - surprised to see I have so much equity even with all the dead diamonds/straight cards.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:35 PM

"Perfect, especially the logic."

As played , of course, by the OP.