Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

and graham wrote that the least amount an investor should generally hold in corp. bonds was 30% of their portfolio. Iv been doing some reading online and was wondering if this still holds true anymore
Old 10-06-2007, 05:27 PM

Anyone willing to help review my resume? Getting rejected left and right from jobs so maybe I'm missing/overlooking something.

I've so far been applying to both i-banks and quant. fin. jobs.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and graham wrote that the least amount an investor should generally hold in corp. bonds was 30% of their portfolio. Iv been doing some reading online and was wondering if this still holds true anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Graham was very conservative. Obv. Buffett followed almost all of his advice except over portfolio allocations. Graham went through the great depression and almost lost everything in his portfolio so he was always suspicious of being 100% equities.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone willing to help review my resume? Getting rejected left and right from jobs so maybe I'm missing/overlooking something.

I've so far been applying to both i-banks and quant. fin. jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will often just look at high GPAs first and go from there so it could be that your resume is fine. If you are still in school your career center should have some program setup where they go through your resume with you.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone give me any good reasons why an investor who understands normal variance would ever hold cash as part of their portfolio (cash/stocks/bonds)?

[/ QUOTE ]

he/she feels that risk premia are stretched too thin and all/most asset classes are due for an adjustment. (i.e. the investor who understands normal variance is willing to take a portfolio wide active decision).

Barron
Old 10-06-2007, 06:40 PM

ok but does it really make sense for that to be part of a long term asset allocation plan, such as 60% equities, 30% bonds, 10% cash?
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok but does it really make sense for that to be part of a long term asset allocation plan, such as 60% equities, 30% bonds, 10% cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. but that isn't what you asked [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Barron
Old 10-06-2007, 06:57 PM

oh, def. not what I asked, just my random thoughts after having to do some investment portfolio management reading and trying to find mistakes in the text
Old 10-06-2007, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, def. not what I asked, just my random thoughts after having to do some investment portfolio management reading and trying to find mistakes in the text

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair, one reason to hold some cash is that it is negatively correlated with equities and bonds.

cash returns more when short term interest rates go up. an increase in S-T rates hurts both equities and bonds.

furhter, this return is absolutely not volatile at all relative to bonds and stocks.

Barron
Old 10-07-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John Kane,

I just ordered a suit and 2 shirts from these guys

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

I picked them up today and everything was excellent. The shirts are like $30USD each and are made to measure. The made the shirts well after measuring me. The suit took a few fittings.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, just looked over the site, may well get some shirts shipped over and a suit.

anyone got any other ideas? sorry i know this is the finance forum not the fashion forum, but figured best place.
Closed Thread