Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-01-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Bellagio 15/30, after losing a lot...

I usually play micros online, and mostly post there. But I do play 20/40 at Bay101 sometimes and was at Bellagio this weekend.

I was in a very losing funk, so people were running over me, just because they could... I was down about 35BB when this hand ocurred. At the time, I was very close to tilting due to villain rivering me... a lot...

UTG is ok, unimaginative player. Villain is playing ATC, 90% VP$IP, when he's got a great hand, he loves to checkraise, he loves to slowplay on flop. Again, I would like some feedback on the hand, because at the time I was angry at villain, which I know I shouldn't be. I left shortly after...

Hero is hijack and has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain is button
UTG limps, 2 folds, Hero raises, CO folds, villain calls, blinds fold, UTG calls

Flop (7.5SB): Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG checks, Hero bets, Villain raises, UTG folds, Hero re-raises, Villain calls

Turn (6.5BB): T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets, Button (after long deliberation) folds.

Did I lay out my hand in the open there? Could I have gotten a few more bets after the turn, especially with villain having the tendency to run over me? Could I "act" angry as if I had something really good and just got drawn out on the turn, to incite a few more bets?

*Edit*: Yay 100 posts!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15/30, after losing a lot...

How come you three-bet with A-high when it became heads-up on the flop?

I would have gone for a c/r on the turn, which would have gotten you either 0 or 1 more bet depending on the villain. Also I wouldn't bother with putting on any acts unless you know your villain very well.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come you three-bet with A-high when it became heads-up on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because, as I said above "when he's got a great hand, he loves to checkraise, he loves to slowplay on flop." It was like the 2nd or 3rd time I saw him raise the flop in 4-5 hours, and that's not a lot considering he's playing almost every hand. It was very likely he's just drawing like I am and since he's been running over me, he's raising.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:22 PM

3betting the flop is slightly bad
Old 10-02-2007, 10:40 AM

After reading your post and response, I still don't get the flop 3-bet.
I like a flop call and C/R turn or even a River C/R, which is rare for me. Arguments?

Also I like the flop raise, but out of curiosity is anyone against this?

Don't act, it taints your soul.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I still don't get the flop 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Also I like the flop raise,

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you meant you like the preflop raise? If so, yes, I like.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM

Based on your read, I like your flop 3-bet. If he had a very strong hand he would likely wait until a safe turn to pop you.

If he is on a draw, as you suspected, he has K or J clubs or some kind of straight possibility. So you are ahead on the flop. Make him pay now. This works well if he has any club at all and the club hits. He might call you down.

If you are wrong and he has top pair/middle pair you probably got an extra bet out of him. If you call the flop raise it looks like you are on a flush draw. It would then be easier for him to play correctly if he has top pair. Once your hand hits he will be gone anyway and is unlikely to call another bet.

After 3-betting the flop, I would check the turn. You don't suspect he has a monster (2 pair or a set) so giving a free card may get him there - his straight. If he does have K or J clubs he will likely bet it anyway on the turn. If he doesn't he may take a shot at the pot anyway. And it increases the likelihood of his calling one big bet on the river if the turn gets checked through, because it looks like you think it is now safe to proceed with your hand (which could still be AK/AJ/AT, a PP, or a Q).
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 AM

sometimes a check raise will work wonders here.
1) sounds like he's a weak player
2) you think he might have a draw because he likes to slowplay his strong hands
3) when you 3 bet the flop it seems more like a made hand which might be slightly less likely to contain a club

timing is important here and giving off the right kind of vibe to get him to bet. Depends on the type of opponent. But against a newer/uneducated player I would stair blankly at the board for a few seconds, then look down (weak) and check.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM

This is a results oriented post, you played the hand fine, sometimes this happens. I'd rather just call the flop raise but I don't think a 3 bet is that bad.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Acting is stupid. At the card room I go to a Hollywooder gets brought out back for a proper beating, free of charge. Usually the Hollywooding stops. If not, another beating is provided. This time the guy has to pay 3bbs for it. Never seen it happen a third time.

Don't know what the policy is for your online "micro-[censored]-limit" is.

Now back to the hand:

Reraising the flop makes almost no sense. And has therefore screwed up the rest of the hand. Obviously, you have to bet out. Given your description of Villian, you have no way of anticipating that he would fold.

If the 10 clubs didn't help Villian, then he has/had absolutely nothing and can't even dream up a way of making a hand.