Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Re: No Homosexuality in Iran

[ QUOTE ]
I just heard Ahmadenijad say so. They don't have it in Iran like we have it here. "Who told you we have it?" he asked.

Maybe it's because they're getting rid of all of them . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

The Atlantic Monthly article a few months back on the way homosexuality is treated in Saudi Arabia was pretty interesting. My guess is you read it (for the rest of you I won't bother with Atlantic Monthly links, they block access so you need to subscribe).

Gist of the article was that essentially it's very common and easy to find a hook up (i.e., you won't get your hands chopped off as long as they keep it discrete, sort of like "don't ask don't tell").

~ Rick
Old 09-25-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously i don't agree with all of it, but certainly many americans, myself included, believe that the Bush administration (or American politicians generally over the last 60 years) is purposefully creating an environment of fear.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the "war on terror" is mostly a huge, though politically useful, distraction from issues that have an infinitely greater impact on the day to day life of the average American.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you think about our administration, you are quoting a true asshat. Half of your quote is just him trying to justify an Iranian nuke. Something that would be a lot less troubling if someone like him weren't in charge there.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:23 AM

That's what happens there if you are gay. Pic is from 2005, not sure if they still hang kids for being gay now.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
obviously i don't agree with all of it, but certainly many americans, myself included, believe that the Bush administration (or American politicians generally over the last 60 years) is purposefully creating an environment of fear.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the "war on terror" is mostly a huge, though politically useful, distraction from issues that have an infinitely greater impact on the day to day life of the average American.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you think about our administration, you are quoting a true asshat. Half of your quote is just him trying to justify an Iranian nuke. Something that would be a lot less troubling if someone like him weren't in charge there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is an asshat, but who gives a [censored], asshats can be right.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I know I'm not the only one who thinks the "war on terror" is mostly a huge, though politically useful, distraction from issues that have an infinitely greater impact on the day to day life of the average American. "

Exactly the "head in the sand" leftie I was talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is reasonable to hold your view point, do you think it is reasonable to believe that the fear of terrorism is overblown?

I think that people in the middle east are generally poor with little access to much power, especially the kind of people who would actually be carrying out attacks. I am nearly sure that these people as a whole could launch attacks on america that would kill americans, I am at the same time fairly convinced that their ability to do anything that would effect the functioning of our country as much as our "war on terror", or kill anywhere near an many innocent civilians somewhat preposterous.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:03 AM

Nothing warms your heart quite like a coersive state that understands its moral authority...
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 AM

Whatever insight he might offer is mitigated by his authoritarianism, his out-and-out lying, and his inabiility to give a straight answer to any question asked of him. "Yes" and "no" are not in his vocabulary. His administration is cracking down on dissent, on women, and on homosexuals. When he gives yo ua whopper like there's no homosexuality in Iran, it makes his listeners think nothing he says can be believed.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:53 AM

"QUESTION: Mr. President, another student asks -- Iranian women are now denied basic human rights and your government has imposed draconian punishments, including execution on Iranian citizens who are homosexuals. Why are you doing those things?

AHMADINEJAD (THROUGH TRANSLATOR): Freedoms in Iran are genuine, true freedoms. Iranian people are free. Women in Iran enjoy the highest levels of freedom.

We have two deputy -- two vice presidents that are female, at the highest levels of specialty, specialized fields. In our parliament and our government and our universities, they're present. In our biotechnological fields, our technological fields, there are hundreds of women scientists that are active -- in the political realm as well.

It's not -- it's wrong for some governments, when they disagree with another government, to, sort of, try to spread lies that distort the full truth.

Our nation is free. It has the highest level of participation in elections, in Iran. Eighty percent, ninety percent of the people turn out for votes during the elections, half of which, over half of which are women. So how can we say that women are not free? Is that the entire truth?

But as for the executions, I'd like to raise two questions. If someone comes and establishes a network for illicit drug trafficking that affects the youth in Iran, Turkey, Europe, the United States, by introducing these illicit drugs and destroys them, would you ever reward them?

People who lead the lives -- cause the deterioration of the lives of hundreds of millions of youth around the world, including in Iran, can we have any sympathy to them? Don't you have capital punishment in the United States? You do, too.

(APPLAUSE) "

Do you think people realize they are applauding at someone who is promoting the death penalty for homosexuals? Or do you think they heard capital punishment and thought 'yeah, the US should get rid of capital punishment!' The ignorance is astounding.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:58 AM

For those who don't know, President Ahmadinejad was in New York for a UN conference and he gave a speech at Columbia University. The Columbia President introduced him and ripped him during the introduction.

Transcript of Columbia President's speech

News article about appearance.

Earlier thread
Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever insight he might offer is mitigated by his authoritarianism, his out-and-out lying, and his inability to give a straight answer to any question asked of him. "Yes" and "no" are not in his vocabulary. His administration is cracking down on dissent. When he gives you a whopper like intelligent design should be taught in school, it makes his listeners think nothing he says can be believed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which leader were we talking about again? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]