Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Getting Agressive with unimproved 22

10/20 Motor City.

Game is good. Everyone is weak tight or loose passive except for villain.

Villain is standard live spazz. He has a looser than normal raising range for this table. He hasn't shown down a lot of hands (mucked a couple times when called on the river) but I'd guess that he raises junk once in a while to "mix it up". He also probably raises weaker aces than he should and bad broadways/any pair. What he does preflop is probably closer to correct than the tight old men who complain about him and cold call with any two suited.

Postflop he c-bets almost all the time, but slows down when confronted w/aggression. I wouldn't call him a maniac, hence spazz.

I'm UTG+1 and limp behind a limper with 22. Two more limps. Villain raises. SB folds. BB calls. I call. Everyone calls.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check planning on either raising or folding depending on the action. Checks to villain who bets. BB calls. I raise. One cold call. Villain calls.

Turn:T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I bet. Only Villain Calls

River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] I bet.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Getting Agressive with unimproved 22

I'm not sure I understand the river bet. Are you hoping to fold a better hand, or be called by a worse one?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand the river bet. Are you hoping to fold a better hand, or be called by a worse one?

[/ QUOTE ]

either would be nice.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Certainly so, though I try to have a reason for expecting (or at least hoping for) one or the other before I bet the river, especially out of position. Occasionally I could bet a weak hand hoping for a fold from a missed draw so I don't have to show what I was pushing, but no draws on the flop here. A read on how villian usually plays the river could be helpful.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM

no one is even considering a c/f on this flop?
Old 09-22-2007, 02:23 PM

On the river I expect him to fold a better hand sometimes and also to call with a worse hand sometimes depending upon how he's feeling, how he views me, and whatever random synapses are firing in his brain. Also it may be wrong, but what is the other suggestion? c/f?

Also, Kit, I did consider a c/f on the flop but decided the pot was too big and the chance of me having the best hand is too high not to continue.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no one is even considering a c/f on this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once villian got a caller I was done with the hand. Otherwise I'll sometimes make this play depending on the table (I do it all the time when I have paired the board though... I like usually having five outs when I'm behind).

Unless I missed something in the read I don't think villian is ever folding a better hand so I c/c river.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:21 AM

Seems completely reasonable.

I think this one is really dependent on your sense of what is going on at this table. No matter how many reads you include we aren't going to get the full flavor of the table, so I think your play is probably best.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 AM

you said he's "mucked a couple times when called on the river". this lends me to liking a check/call if he can fire with Ahigh.

this is one of those hands that he could definitely be "bluffing" you with the best hand(and he doesn't know it). if you think there's a chance he can both call with Ahigh and fold 55 then the bet on the river is good.

ordinarily i would agree with Niediam on the flop. when another player enters the pot i'm done with the hand. in this type of game, these guys could easily be chasing overcards. even that single, elusive ace. for that reason i might proceed with the action as you did reevaluating the turn based on who called. fwiw, if you play the flop that way you most always need to fire the turn.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:27 AM

this seems like a very easy c/c to me?

His play suggests that either he is beating you, but afraid of you holding trips, or he missed some kind of draw. In the former case, he will never fold a hand you beat on the river here: he already showed commitment to a showdown by calling the turn, very possibly a nine. In case he was drawing and missed, he will likely fold to your bet, but may fire himself when given the oppertunity. The only value in betting comes from him calling A-high, which doesn't happen so often imo. Betting maybe, calling not. So, to me, a c/c seems to be the superior play. (oh I forgot to add the times he checks behind a pair of nines.)