Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 02:19 AM

Default AQ - Firing 2 Barrels in a 3bet Pot

I'm having a rough time 3betting AQ from the blinds against a button steal lately it seems. I don't know how to handle these types of situations, villain in this situation is 25/18 and seems willing to mix it up a bit.

6-Handed all stacks 200

3 folds, Button raises to 7, Hero makes it 25 from the SB with AQo, Button calls.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero leads 38 into 52.

Should I even be doing this? I assume pocket pairs are a large part of this range, and with this dry flop I'm likely to get peeled often, but just c/f seems silly. Meh.

Villain calls.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero ?

Well I definitely have some outs now. There's not much more than a PSB behind here, so I can't bet/fold, I can't check/call, etc. I guess it's just time to give up, but I'm out over 30BB and not really feeling too great about how things went.

Thoughts on preflop, flop cbet, and turn play (and river play if turn checks through and we're holding ace high)?
Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: AQ - Firing 2 Barrels in a 3bet Pot

PF and flop look totally fine. Sometimes I fire again, but I usually just C/F here w/o a whole lot of history. If they are peeling w/ something like 77/99...they'll usually check the turn and give you a free shot at your 10 outer anyways.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 AM

Do you ever bluff the river if the turn checks through and the river bricks out? I think 77/99 hands would fold a lot to a big bet on the end...
Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 AM

recently i was c/f flop but a lot of friends told me i was being way too passive lately. as a result i b/f floip and have been giving up soince then, in genreal. with 4 more outs to a straight your hand is still crap, so c?f is best
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever bluff the river if the turn checks through and the river bricks out? I think 77/99 hands would fold a lot to a big bet on the end...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes. OTOH, I take this line w/ AK a lot and seem to get looked up really light w/ it. It just depends on the opponent.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:44 AM

I always wonder what a c/r on the flop would do in a situation like this. Does anyone have any experience on the success of c/r?
Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always wonder what a c/r on the flop would do in a situation like this. Does anyone have any experience on the success of c/r?

[/ QUOTE ]

always gets called by whatever they bet
Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 AM

You tried to steal the pot on flop, with no success. There's no point to continue bluffing out of position, so c/f turn.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM

I continuation bet virtually always here, and usually get folds. It's a very good board for it. He will be very scared of AA, AK, KK, unless he also has a good hand.

On the turn, I'm giving up (again, b/c by now I think it's likely he has a strong hand that he's not folding), and hoping he allows me to draw for free or very cheaply to my gutshot. If I get to the river, and an Ace comes, then I'm probably check-calling b/c I think he's more likely to bet a weaker hand in that spot than call with one.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:23 AM

I like it. I bet a bit less on the flop and now check and hope for a free river.