Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: I Really Disliked The Bourne Ultimatum

In Francine Prose's recent book on writing, she looks at the opening of LeCarre novel A Perfect Spy to show its economy of style, in particular how LeCarre conveys so much with just one brief opening line of dialogue. Its masterfully done.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from it. I enjoyed it, though the shaky-cam gave me a little bit of a headache. I thought the other two were better, and I've only just seen them for the first time (watched the first one Thursday, and the second one last night).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised. I thought the second one was very lackluster and cheesy.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from it. I enjoyed it, though the shaky-cam gave me a little bit of a headache. I thought the other two were better, and I've only just seen them for the first time (watched the first one Thursday, and the second one last night).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised. I thought the second one was very lackluster and cheesy.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was better than 3. I think the series gets worse as it goes, but they're all still pretty good.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:41 PM

If it was better than 3, that's pretty damning. But if you thought 2 was pretty good, then maybe not. :P
Old 08-19-2007, 11:06 PM

I didn't like it either. It had little (predictable) plot development and the camera [censored] was weak.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Also,

They get a full ID on that chick in the safe house even talk to her on the phone, then it is like we see two people leaving, then oh noes some one hacked our computers who could it be?

There is no real development of why the chick is helping Bourne also there is no explanation as to why matey is talking to the journalist about operation blackfriar in the first place.

That and all the other things allready mentioned bothered me greatly. I mean how come they dont even show Bourne breaking in to a CIA biulding to get at evil mateys safe. I cant imagine thats easy even if most of evil mateys henchmen are out of the building.

I enjoyed the visceral nature of the film alot, and the waterloo scene was excellent. A bit more effort in the plotting and this could have been a great film not just a good one.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:20 PM

Just saw it last night. The camera work was terrible. Especially in the fight between Bourne and the other assassin. You just couldn't see what was happening. Not to mention the use of zoom. Who uses zoom anyway?

The other thing that got to me: someone mentioned Bourne just walking away from car accidents like they were nothing. At the beginning of the film, they show him limping and actually hurt from all of his running around. Yet at the end, none of the accidents hurt him.

And yeah, Julia Stiles just helping him for no reason other than "I saw what you went through" was lame.

Other than that, I thought the movie was a reasonably enjoyable action film, but nothing more than that. Great chase sequences that were marred by the lack of plot and character development.

Maybe a 5.5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it last night. The camera work was terrible. Especially in the fight between Bourne and the other assassin. You just couldn't see what was happening. Not to mention the use of zoom. Who uses zoom anyway?

The other thing that got to me: someone mentioned Bourne just walking away from car accidents like they were nothing. At the beginning of the film, they show him limping and actually hurt from all of his running around. Yet at the end, none of the accidents hurt him.

And yeah, Julia Stiles just helping him for no reason other than "I saw what you went through" was lame.

Other than that, I thought the movie was a reasonably enjoyable action film, but nothing more than that. Great chase sequences that were marred by the lack of plot and character development.

Maybe a 5.5 or 6 on a scale of 1-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

They allude to the fact that Bourne and Stiles' character had a relationship in the past that Bourne has no memory of.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, Julia Stiles is ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? i think she is really cute.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 PM

Just saw BU last night. I generally enjoyed it but not as much as Supremacy. My main complaint was with the directing of this latest one. The other two films made use of rich, wide establishing shots even within the action sequences (think of the scene in Moscow where Bourne limps into the supermarket, how it pans wide at first). This latest film was too handy-camish... lots of shaky shots and tight focuses (wtf... whenever there was a car chase we'd go from shaky, dramamine shots to a close up of a headlamp or something). The action was fast paced enough. No need to heighten tension with all these tight shots. The shakiness was dizzying at times.

The obvious plot deficiencies detracted, too. Sure, Niki, secure the office and we'll conveniently forget to check back in AFTER THE MADRID F-ING PD SHOWS UP AND ARRESTS OUR OPERATIVES.

Still an entertaining flick, but plenty of problems. At least we know what to expect with this franchise.