Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: I Really Disliked The Bourne Ultimatum

[ QUOTE ]
He's supposedly much loved, and I read a really interesting article on him once, but what I've read of his has been really wooden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you...I've tried reading Le Carre again and again but I never seem to get past the "meh" stage.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:59 PM

I did. It was a kind of rhythmic drumbeat that was pretty cool.

I liked the first two Bournes better than this one. But I didn't love those either.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:16 AM

I was pretty disappointed with this movie as well. The viewer does not share Bourne's sense of urgency in his quest to find out what was "done to him." I didn't give a hoot what abusive psychological treatment he was subjected to, and even that part seemed anti-climactic. "You are now Jason Bourne." The significance was underwhelming. I wanted more of a backstory on him and Nicky, the lack of which left an annoying opportunity for another sequel. Plus, I just wanted the constant action to slow down for two seconds for a little character development and to add some depth to what forces were driving Bourne.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM

I agree with everything said above and would like to offer this advice to the director: STOP MOVING THE [censored] CAMERA!!!

Most shots lasted a second or two and were in constant motion. I felt more nauseous during this movie than the "Blair Witch Project." This effect can be useful when used selectively, like the opening of "Saving Private Ryan," but is overwhelming for a full two hours.

The whole thing was like a mediocre episode of 24 without the plot twists. The characters were nothing but well dressed automatons. The chase scenes lacked excitement and interest due to characters we don't care about.

The writing consisted of stock phrases like: "Keep your eye on him people; We can't lose him now people; I didn't sign up for this." But don't worry, we can all feel good because the secret government operatives will be prosecuted by the geniuses who gave them their authority in the first place. Also, Julia Stiles is ugly.

One of the local papers here gave the movie 5 out of 5 and called it the best action picture of the last few decades. Morons. "Hot Fuzz" which was out just a few months ago was superior.

I rather enjoyed the first two Bourne movies for what they were, but the near universal praise of this film confirms the lack of aesthetic taste or qualifications of most critics.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:08 PM

lol, what did you expect? Magnolia? American Beauty? It's a bourne film. Thin on plots, heavy on INTENSITY!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He's supposedly much loved, and I read a really interesting article on him once, but what I've read of his has been really wooden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you...I've tried reading Le Carre again and again but I never seem to get past the "meh" stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I put Ludlum with the likes of Grisham, Chritchon, and Harris.

Their books are more plot-driven and translate better to movies than book form.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:44 PM

I'm really glad I ventured in here to read these reviews. I was initially looking forward to seeing this movie, but will wait for it on Netflix now. I loved the first two Bournes; a good mix of story & action I thought, and much better done than the Mission Impossibles. Not to mention that Damon is so much cooler than T.C. Now I'll be able to see it with lowered expectations.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really glad I ventured in here to read these reviews. I was initially looking forward to seeing this movie, but will wait for it on Netflix now. I loved the first two Bournes; a good mix of story & action I thought, and much better done than the Mission Impossibles. Not to mention that Damon is so much cooler than T.C. Now I'll be able to see it with lowered expectations.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. The Bourne Ultimatum is a great movie. It doesn't have as much plot since the previous movies have it all set up. I'll admit the dialogue is simple but it sounds good and the pacing of this movie is fantastic. It is a GREAT action flick. The cinematography is actually really awesome imo, just look at how they film the action sequences. The acting as well is very good from everyone, and all in all a film definitely worth seeing in the theaters.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why the bigwigs in the CIA would work in an office tower and keep the curtains open, when Bourne himself already told Joan Allen he could see her in the last scene of the second Bourne movie, is beyond me. Much less how they could all leave the building and not leave somebody to keep Bourne from getting into Strathairn's office.

Not to mention that Damon could drive his car, backwards, off a building and walk away. And talk an assassin out of shooting him by asking him "do you know why you're killing me?".

Anybody else dislike it as much as I did?

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend (the 40 player) twisted my arm yesterday so we went. He mentioned the exact three plot holes/implausibilities in bold type above as we left the theater.

The cheap opening they left at the end for a fourth Bourne made me promise myself not to see it no matter what.

~ Rick
Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM

I just got back from it. I enjoyed it, though the shaky-cam gave me a little bit of a headache. I thought the other two were better, and I've only just seen them for the first time (watched the first one Thursday, and the second one last night).