Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Celtics want Reggie Miller

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bill Simmonds wrote a column saying the ONLY player ever to shoot better after he turned 34 other than Ray Allen was Reggie Miller.

Might work.

[/ QUOTE ]
That isn't true. After 34 he had one season where his TS% was better than his career average.

[/ QUOTE ]

Simmons got misquoted here. He said something along the lines of Miller is the only player of that sort of skill set to not see a sharp decline in skills after 32.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 AM

i think he'd be a great role player. celts fans should be happy
Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got called Stockton at the playground a few hours ago when I dropped a little 12 foot floater in the lane. Probably the highlight of my sactown hoops career. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Stockton.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, if only people ever related my bball skills to stock, id be so happy. sadly im mroe like charles oakley.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but like Reggie he was a career player with one team, then he came back with another and that kind of sullied his legacy IMO (see also Jordan, Michael).

[/ QUOTE ]

It might have sullied his legacy, but he was still one of the best 20 players in the league even during his last year (speaking of Jordan). And the Celts have a lot better chance at a Ring than the Wiz did. I don't see the problem with this at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 AM

I dont know why people have a problems with legends hanging on and at some point sucking. If I had my choice Id ather go out like Mays than Elway. Atleast I know I have nothing left at all. I wouldn't want to wonder about this 20 years later.

Noone ever mentions when guys who stick around are still good for a while because eventually they suck so people just mention how their reputation is tainted. Lots of people said Jordan shouldnt come back the first time. People thought Clemens was done when he left Boston. If someone still enjoys playing the game and can play it at a professional level (not at his old great level, but if someone is good enough to be a fourth outfielder or whatever) and still wants to play good for them.
As a Knicks hater I hope Miller comes back and [censored] on them some more.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Simmonds wrote a column saying the ONLY player ever to shoot better after he turned 34 other than Ray Allen was Reggie Miller.

Might work.

[/ QUOTE ]

That must be a cool time machine, considering Ray Allen is 32 years old.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 AM

+

-

=

Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 AM

Might not be a bad idea . . .
Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 AM

Your point is a good one, but Willie Mays is not an apt example. He wasn't attempting a comeback, he was at the end of his career, and all parties thought it would be nice if he ended it where he began, in New York.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why people have a problems with legends hanging on and at some point sucking. If I had my choice Id ather go out like Mays than Elway. Atleast I know I have nothing left at all. I wouldn't want to wonder about this 20 years later.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it's elegant to go out on top, not so much when you're so slow in the outfield that people can hear you creak, or you're getting 10 MPG and riding the pine and your most tangible asset is "clubhouse leadership".

At my age the Kareem I grew up with is the guy who was an average center on the best team in the 80s, not the guy who terrorized the NBA and was its best player in the 70s. Speaking of all-time leaders, it's the same thing with Pete Rose - I remember him as an old guy who was a marginal hitter, not the guy who averaged .320 and gave you 200+ hits/season.

I also think they're sticking around past their expiration date has more to do with it being the thing they know, that they're known for, excel at, and the one place they feel at home than it does having enough foresight to think twenty years down the line to "what if?"

I personally consider it a travesty that Jordan came out of retirement that second time, even more so since it wasn't with the Bulls. Remember the first time he came back? SI led with "I'm Back" as their cover story and it's all anyone could talk about. Everyone tuned in to watch a rusty MJ wearing #45 lay bricks on the Pacers on that Sunday afternoon. The second time he came back was in the wake of 09/11 and maybe that was part of the reason but it literally barely made national headlines.

It's just sad how many players fade away instead of going out on top. Now, I consider going out on top as having close to their peak skills and/or winning a title in their final season. For this reason Sandy Koufax, Bill Russell, Elway, Jim Brown and Ray Borque all qualify. Jordan would have were his final shot that shove off of Bryon Russell and sweet jumper from the top of the key in 1998.

Reggie Miller actually could make this list too, or at least get honorable mention. After the Palace Brawl suspensions the Pacers became a mediocre team and he stepped up in the absence of others and had a memorable playoffs too. But he will be removed from consideration if he rides the pine in Boston or if they don't win the title.