Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

nath,

Ain't nothin but a WASP partay
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My point is not that there are NO interactions between natives and other races in Canada, it's that there are very few interactions between natives and other races in Canada compared to, say, east asians. I can't believe that racism against natives is "worse than any other group in North America" when they barely interact with other groups at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't misinterpret your post. I'm disagreeing with this. There are a lot of interactions between Natives and other Canadians, and they're often VERY heated. There have been way more high-profile incidents involving Natives and racism then against any other ethnic group in Canada. The area I'm from any unsolved vandalism, crime, or theft was blamed on Natives from the reserve which was 30-40 kilometres away. This is a pretty typical situation in large portions of Ontario.

In Toronto itself there are probably lots of areas where there are little to no interactions with Natives, but thats definitely not the norm in a very large portion of Canada.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 PM

i've actually been called a "chink" on full tilt cause of my screenname (same as here) after busto-ing people. i just tell them that their a-holes, and that i'm white.

however i really really want to get with a chinese girl [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 12:40 AM

I think you two might mis understand the source of the prejudice against haoles in hawaii. while this explanation does not justify outright hatred and racism that's sometimes displayed (and I don't discount Blarg's experiences, but I do think it's not representative of typial attitudes in hawaii), it may help some understand the root of what you see today.

for hawaiians, the source is simple. the haoles stole their land. ancient hawaiians had no concept of private land ownership and this made it relatively simple for the white missionaries to come in and "legally" take ownership of a large portion of the islands. the white people, not satisfied with stealing plots of land, proceeded to annex the islands, effectively stealing most of what they hadn't already, in the name of the USA.

the other people of color (in approximate order: chinese, portugese, japanese, philipino, korean, puerto rica, other polynesian) were, for the most part, tricked into coming to hawaii by deceptive labor contracts that effectively made them into indentured servants on the sugarand pine fields. the holders of these contracts? the white land owners.

Today, many people in hawaii do paint haoles with a broad brush, but many do not. one problem is that many of the haoles that the locals see, day to day, are tourists displaying every bit of the ugly american stereotype. many american tourists have an ugly entitled attitude. they don't treat the people serving them with respect; they don't treat the islands with respect. they demand, they litter, they mock the people and the culture. some locals see this every day and are, perhaps understandibly, jaded in their attitudes against all haoles.

I also point out that there's often a huge difference between the way local haoles (the ones born and raised there and often the ones from long established local families) are treated and the way new residents are treated. again this comes down to respect for the people, cultures and land. new residents often come in with an "I'm the [censored]" attitude and are treated accordingly. In pigeon parlance, you gotta know how for act.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one problem is that many of the haoles that the locals see, day to day, are tourists displaying every bit of the ugly american stereotype. many american tourists have an ugly entitled attitude. they don't treat the people serving them with respect; they don't treat the islands with respect. they demand, they litter, they mock the people and the culture. some locals see this every day and are, perhaps understandibly, jaded in their attitudes against all haoles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, this is so true. It's a problem all over the world...it is embarrassing.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:04 AM

Great post, M2d.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you two might mis understand the source of the prejudice against haoles in hawaii. while this explanation does not justify outright hatred and racism that's sometimes displayed (and I don't discount Blarg's experiences, but I do think it's not representative of typial attitudes in hawaii), it may help some understand the root of what you see today.

for hawaiians, the source is simple. the haoles stole their land. ancient hawaiians had no concept of private land ownership and this made it relatively simple for the white missionaries to come in and "legally" take ownership of a large portion of the islands. the white people, not satisfied with stealing plots of land, proceeded to annex the islands, effectively stealing most of what they hadn't already, in the name of the USA.

the other people of color (in approximate order: chinese, portugese, japanese, philipino, korean, puerto rica, other polynesian) were, for the most part, tricked into coming to hawaii by deceptive labor contracts that effectively made them into indentured servants on the sugarand pine fields. the holders of these contracts? the white land owners.

Today, many people in hawaii do paint haoles with a broad brush, but many do not. one problem is that many of the haoles that the locals see, day to day, are tourists displaying every bit of the ugly american stereotype. many american tourists have an ugly entitled attitude. they don't treat the people serving them with respect; they don't treat the islands with respect. they demand, they litter, they mock the people and the culture. some locals see this every day and are, perhaps understandibly, jaded in their attitudes against all haoles.

I also point out that there's often a huge difference between the way local haoles (the ones born and raised there and often the ones from long established local families) are treated and the way new residents are treated. again this comes down to respect for the people, cultures and land. new residents often come in with an "I'm the [censored]" attitude and are treated accordingly. In pigeon parlance, you gotta know how for act.

[/ QUOTE ]

great post. I have no idea about native Hawaiian attitudes, but what you seem to be citing for the main reason for anti white racism is a historically structured class system based on what basically amounted to indentured servitude on both the sugar cane and later the pineapple plantations. The experience of the Hawaiians is very different, but Asians were brought to the mainland in much the same capacity on niche work programs that asians in Hawaii were. railroads? anti-family/wife immigration.

I was saying earlier that the unique racial make up of hawaii allows for this discontent with historical racism to be resolved through structural racism against whites since there's collectively a lot more formerly disenfranchised people of color to do this. The reasons for anti haole attitudes seem very similar. They can jsut pull it off in hawaii on a broader level.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:34 AM

rac·ism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

I don't see how bowing to two asians fits either of these.