Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: About early man

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_function
Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

Early humans of 200,000 years ago, had brains of less than half the size of modern humans. The great leap forward didn’t begin until approximately 50,000 years ago when Cro-Magnon appeared on the scene with a much larger brain. These people took tool making to an entirely different level than earlier man, allowing them to sew clothes, make fish hooks, construct houses, etc. They also produced cave paintings, musical instruments, and statues. Also, they began to travel, occupying areas like Australia, using watercraft that was unheard of with older humans.

Two things happened 100,000 to 50,000 years ago to allow a momentous leap forward. Brain size increased and the voice box was perfected, allowing for better communication.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Correction - above I said, “Early humans of 200,000 years ago, had brains of less than half the size of modern humans”

It should say 2 million years ago. Nevertheless, modern brain sizes weren’t reached until Cro-Magnon appeared on the scene some 50,000 years ago, then, even though he didn’t immediately invent modern writing, he did invent modern, multi-piece tools, such as harpoons, spear throwers, and eventually bows and arrows, among the other things that I listed.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:33 PM

Writing has already been mentioned, but I'll add that it's interesting how much we take this wondrous of inventions for granted, even as we type away and communicate with others with whom we'd otherwise never have any kind of contact with.

But more importantly, I find it fascinating that writing is actually a very difficult/rare thing to invent. I can't recall the exact number, but writing was only independently developed a handful of times. For all the variation in writing around the world and throughout history, the vast majority of it was based on borrowing the ideas of others.