Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 AM

Default About early man

Its accepted that humans have been around for 200,000 years. The vast majority of our advancement occurred in the last 10,000 years with barely any coming during that first 190,000 years.

I've heard it said that early man was so busy hunting and gathering that he did not have any time to do the necessary thought required to develope things. I think thats a bunch of bunk.

Early humans had plenty of time to think. The task of hunting and gathering has long moments of time that can best be described as "mundane". It doesn't take a lot of "creative brain power" to do munadane tasks. In my experience it seems the brain finds ways to ultilize its "creative brain power" during these mundane task. If you've ever daydreamed its in your experience too.

The other night I was watching a show about how a couple of scientist were using viruses collected from a hotspring to produce hydrogen. They were stripping out all the RNA from the viral protien shell and then they used that empty protien shell to encapsulated little bits of metal. The next day while driving home from Costco, I didn't think much about driving. I didn't think much about installing the car battery I just bought. What I was thinking about is what other uses little bits of metal encapsulated in protein might have.

If I can use my creative brain power while doing a complex, but mundane task such as driving a car, surely a human who lived 150,000 years ago would be having equally creative thoughts while trekking accross the country following a herd of mamoths.

There must be some other reasons why early humans didn't advance much. It certainly wasn't because they didn't have time to "think things up"

Stu
Old 07-11-2007, 04:13 AM

Default Re: About early man

It's about the complexity of machines; the reason we advance so quickly now is because we use inventions that have millions of machines (software for example). Until 200 years ago basically all inventions used a few simple machines in tandem.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:00 AM

Read Jared Diamond's book. "Guns, Germs and Steel"

I think it will give you some insight as to the development of man since the last ice age.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with a lack of language and written language. Human progress generally comes from people building upon each other's thoughts. Communication makes this possible. The better our communication, the faster we develop technology.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 AM

Early humans might have had the same hardware, but not the same software.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Early humans might have had the same hardware, but not the same software.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great metaphor! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-11-2007, 09:04 AM

can you link or quote a source that says our early development was limited due to a lack of time? seems like a pretty ridiculous to debunk in the first place.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:07 AM

"I've heard it said that early man was so busy hunting and gathering that he did not have any time to do the necessary thought required to develope things. I think thats a bunch of bunk. Early humans had plenty of time to think."

A copy of Stone Age Economics will go a long way towards convincing those who are doubtful of the correctness of your assertions.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Early humans had plenty of time to think. The task of hunting and gathering has long moments of time that can best be described as "mundane".

[/ QUOTE ]

In general, things change because of pressure. If you are correct that "early humans had plenty of time ..." that aren't focused on food, warmth, safety of person, then they'll spend that 'free' time the same way we do ... hanging out with friends and family. That's one reason we're called social animals :-)

Now, when food and safety are hard to achieve and take a lot of time, that's when ingenuity kicks in. Pressure, the same thing that cases most biological evolutionary changes.

Unfortunately, for the most part "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is how animals approach life ( humans included). In the absence of pressure, at any given time the current system is working, it's not broken.

The scarcity of early humans would put little pressure on them. Need to get to larger groups bumping into each other and the advantage of specialization of tasks to emerge to see an increase in the speed of 'progress'.

luckyme
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Its accepted that humans have been around for 200,000 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is based upon a few hundred bones and reconstructions. Other than areas where ligaments and muscles made impressions on these bones there are few or no clues about the composition and structure of organs, enzymes, and tissue.