Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 07-03-2007, 02:53 PM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If it were roto, I could see hanging onto Pierre. But not in H2H.

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who hasn't really played H2H and is just curious, what makes him worse in H2H?

[/ QUOTE ]

In H2H (points), stolen bases aren't anything special, just another way to score a couple points. Many players who are valuable in roto due to their ability to steal bases are just run of the mill (or worse) players in H2H leagues.

FWIW, Juan Pierre is still a top-25 OF in my points-based league. He has outscored Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn among others. This might be partially because our league penalizes strikeouts and he doesn't whiff much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in a similar points league as well. Ramirez really hasn't that well this year (on pace for 80 R, 22 HR, and 88 RBI) and Dunn would have to put up monster numbers across the board to compensate for his strikeouts. That Pierre has outscored those two in that scoring system is more about the way those two have played as opposed to Pierre being a better player. Especially in Manny's case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I pulled off a trade for Orlando Hudson in exchange for Pierre, seems decent enough value.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whose lineup spot would Bonds take?

/edit fwiw Aramis' career OPS after the allstar break is like 100 or more points higher then before. I don't think he has had a season where it hasn't been 50+ points higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack Cust, Holliday and Dunn are my outfielders. So Jack Cust, probably.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:28 PM

I give: Mags & Rivera
I get: Sizemore & D Lee

This would be rape and pillage, right?

Also, what do people think about Luis Gonzalez? He's not likely to keep up his current production, is he?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what do people think about Luis Gonzalez? He's not likely to keep up his current production, is he?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without seeing the rest of your team, this is a very good trade for you.

Gonzalez should be able to keep this up. His current totals projected out over the season would be 80-20-80-10-.290. Not at all unreasonable for him to finish there; look at his numbers from 2005 (think he was hurt last year, not sure). The 39:29 BB:K is pretty impressive as well. Unless you have someone you really want to pick up / need, I'd stick with Gonzalez.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:47 PM

sloth,

my current LF is manny ramirez. my SS is brendan harris. do you think trading manny for someone like carlos guillen or renteria would be a decent move, given your read on gonzo? to me, manny doesn't look like manny this year.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sloth,

my current LF is manny ramirez. my SS is brendan harris. do you think trading manny for someone like carlos guillen or renteria would be a decent move, given your read on gonzo? to me, manny doesn't look like manny this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about this one. Manny's 2nd half could be huge if he gets it together. And I don't think Harris is a bad option; I'm starting in a few leagues right now because of injuries and ineffectiveness (I can never pass up the opportunity to say this; [censored] you Julio Lugo). Basically it's which combo is better; Manny & Harris or Gonzalez & Guillen / Renteria. Seems even now, but given that Manny is Manny and hits in that line up, and Guillen's injury history is pretty extensive, I'd rather have Manny and Harris. And I can't see trading Manny straight up for Renteria. Manny should be able to fetch some one like Rollins or Jeter in a trade.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NUH UH
Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He wants me to give Mauer and get back Ryan Zimmerman to even this one up a bit, I countered by saying I would throw in a SP - someone like Maddux or Matt Morris.

This league uses holds, which means guys like Heath Bell and Rafael Betancourt are almost as valuable as a good closer. If he pushes hard, would you throw in someone like that? I think that's about as far as I could go. My bullpen is pretty good but I am already giving up Rivera.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:43 PM

So now it's Mags/Rivera/Mauer for Sizemore/Lee/Zimmerman. I think I'd still do that, depending on who you still have getting saves and who your catcher would be. Your getting the better end of this trade on (Sizemore>Mags, Lee>>Rivera), and Zimmerman should be better in the 2nd half (his BABIP is around .260 or something awful right now, he's on pace for 25 HR and 85 runs and 85 RBI). If you can get him to take Maddux or Morris instead of Mauer, then that's even better. It's worth noting that Mauer's injury is supposed to bug him the rest of the year, and it shows in his performance since returning.

Giving up Bell or Betancourt shouldn't be too bad, especially since you should be able to replace them pretty easily (even if your league is using holds as a category). Maybe they would take a Maddux / Bell combo.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NUH UH

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you would not start Bonds ahead of Cust? Or that he should bench Holliday or Dunn instead?

Edit - Actually, I just went and the original post. That's an awful trade. You want no part of Bartolo "I'm so fat it hurts my f***ing throwing shoulder" Colon. Bonds is not enough of an improvement over Cust to justify giving up A-Rod and taking back A-Ram. Buehrle is not great shakes, but he's Cy Young compared to Colon.