Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: ***Official July Fantasy Baseball Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Burdz,

If it were my team, I'd be starting Glaus or Thome ahead of Pierre, and Pierre would be waltzing his ass to the WW in favor of a new 2B. Which 2B are available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like him or not, Juan Pierre has 31 steals. That lineup can definitely use the speed

[/ QUOTE ]
If not for Pierre his catcher would be leading his team in SB!

Depending who's available I doubt they'd be much worse than Glaus.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:31 AM

I dunno if this even qualifies as a question but... some meatball in my 12-team league just dropped Jason Bay for Mark De Rosa (looooool). My OF is currently

Beltran
Rios
Ordonez

with Sosa at BN (Atkins at UTIL, Zimmerman at 3B) ... I'm ditching Sosa for Bay, then I'll see how Zimmerman/Atkins/Bay do (although I think I'll just keep bay as a backup OF to be honest... still way better than Sosa).

My staff has gotten pretty sick lately:

C - Russell Martin
1B - Adrian Gonzalez
2B - Dan Uggla
SS - Jhonny Peralta
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
OF - Carlos Beltran
OF - Alex Rios
OF - Magglio Ordonez
UTIL - Garrett Atkins
BN - Sammy Sosa

SP - Chris Carpenter (DL)
SP - Randy Johnson
SP - Derek Lowe
SP - Justin Verlander
SP - Kelvim Escobar
SP - Tom Gorzelanny
SP - Yovanni Gallardo
SP - Sean Marshall
SP - James Shields
RP - Chad Cordero
RP - Kevin Gregg
RP - Bob Wickman

Anyone think I should drop a different player for Bay and/or not pick him up at all? It sure looks like a no-brainer to me.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 AM

Sosa is dead weight.

What you should do is try and capatalize on Magglio's insane start and trade him for something BIG!! Magglio's BAPIP is .386 right now 75 points higher than his career mark of .311. If he mantains his power, which he should, that equates to a .303 BA.

Bay on the other hand is well below his BAPIP (.311/.338), and is also not hitting as many HR/FB this season as he has throughout his career. Bay's average projects to .294 the rest of the way with more HR's than Magglio.

Maybe try and package Magglio with Wickman for a solid outfielder and a big time closer (K-Rod, Putz, Nathan, Wagner, Saito, Papelbon, Coco). Heck, if you don't get Bay, you could proably trade Magglio and Wickman for Bay and one of those closers. Vernon Wells is another good guy to go after, although it might be to late now.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:05 AM

Our league is 5x5: R, OBP, SLG, HR, SB x W, K, WHIP, ERA, SV

I was offered:

Aramis Ramirez
Bartolo Colon
Barry Bonds

for

A-Rod
Mark Buerhle

I should turn this trade down, right?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:38 AM

Whose lineup spot would Bonds take?

/edit fwiw Aramis' career OPS after the allstar break is like 100 or more points higher then before. I don't think he has had a season where it hasn't been 50+ points higher.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Burdz,

If it were my team, I'd be starting Glaus or Thome ahead of Pierre, and Pierre would be waltzing his ass to the WW in favor of a new 2B. Which 2B are available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like him or not, Juan Pierre has 31 steals. That lineup can definitely use the speed

[/ QUOTE ]
If not for Pierre his catcher would be leading his team in SB!

Depending who's available I doubt they'd be much worse than Glaus.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it were roto, I could see hanging onto Pierre. But not in H2H. That's why I asked who's available at 2B on the waiver wire since he need's to replace Kinsler (out 2-6 weeks; that's kind of a long time to float an injured starter). If there are no good FA available, then he could surely trade Pierre for a 2B.

Pierre is a fantasy liability. Take away the 32 steals, and you are left with 0 HR, 19 RBI, and a .276 BA. He has 47 runs on the season, but he only scored 12 in May and 12 in June (he hasn't posted an OBP over .315 in any month this year). His steals do not make up for the lack of production in the other categories.

You don't have to cover every category to win a H2H league. Playing Thome or Glaus (both of their numbers look subpar because of DL stints) over Pierre would pretty well lock up HR and RBI, with no loss of production in runs and batting average.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it were roto, I could see hanging onto Pierre. But not in H2H.

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who hasn't really played H2H and is just curious, what makes him worse in H2H?
Old 07-03-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who hasn't really played H2H and is just curious, what makes him worse in H2H?

[/ QUOTE ]

In H2H (points), stolen bases aren't anything special, just another way to score a couple points. Many players who are valuable in roto due to their ability to steal bases are just run of the mill (or worse) players in H2H leagues.

FWIW, Juan Pierre is still a top-25 OF in my points-based league. He has outscored Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn among others. This might be partially because our league penalizes strikeouts and he doesn't whiff much.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like guys like Pierre / Taveras / Podsednick because they really only contribute in one category, which is steals. If you break it down over the season, they are only averaging 2 steals per week, which is not enough to win that category. You have to have other players steal a few bases as well. Plus those speedsters don't hit HR or drive in runs, their BA is nothing special, and they don't get on base a lot and score a lot of runs. So while they help you in steals, they are a liability in other areas.

I prefer having a lineup that consistently out produces my opponents in HR/RBI/R/BA, while picking up a handful of steals along the way and occasionally taking that cat as well. If I am going to have a speedster in my lineup, I prefer it be someone who contributes in other areas (hitting .300 or hitting 15+ HR, for example).
Old 07-03-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In H2H (points), stolen bases aren't anything special, just another way to score a couple points. Many players who are valuable in roto due to their ability to steal bases are just run of the mill (or worse) players in H2H leagues.

FWIW, Juan Pierre is still a top-25 OF in my points-based league. He has outscored Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn among others. This might be partially because our league penalizes strikeouts and he doesn't whiff much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play in a similar points league as well. Ramirez really hasn't that well this year (on pace for 80 R, 22 HR, and 88 RBI) and Dunn would have to put up monster numbers across the board to compensate for his strikeouts. That Pierre has outscored those two in that scoring system is more about the way those two have played as opposed to Pierre being a better player. Especially in Manny's case.