Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2007, 01:04 AM

Default $10/$20 live and deep

I am in a stupid $10/$20 uncapped game at Turning Stone. I would have got up already but I doubled up in like my first orbit so I'd feel like a dick if I already left.

I have $4k and villain covers.

The game is 9 handed at the time of the hand I believe.

I haven't played with villain before but I've seen him around. He's youngish and in the big game, so he's prolly good. I don't know who he is, Gary Stevenson was in the game, he probably knows who it was.

Villain limps UTG. I'm in early middle position and make it $80 with black QQ. Folds to him and he calls with little to no thought.

Flop is JJ6 with two diamonds and a heart. He checks. I bet $140. He makes it $450. I call. All decisions were roughly 1 minute, aside from his check which was quite quick.

The turn is the 2 of clubs. He bets $1050.

Thoughts on my play so far, and what to do now.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: $10/$20 live and deep

It's very difficult to properly analyze spots like these without any categorization of the opponent or a dynamic between the two of you, but I'll give you my take.

You have two lines here. One is folding, the other is calling with the intention of folding to a river bet.

1. The case for Folding- He limp called under the gun, so I'd have to assume a large part of his range is a small pair or suited connectors. 66 makes sense. So does j10 suited. He could be on a diamond draw, but the size of his turn bet looks like he's trying to get it in on the river (plus you're an unknown that looks to have an overpair).

2. The case for calling - The biggest case I can see for calling here is that I don't think he will fire the river again as a bluff, so if he does bet the river, you can be confident you are behind.

That being said, against a relative unknown with no real read, I fold.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:55 AM

Oh, and as for your play so far, it was standard. If the guy is a habitual check raiser, I might check back on that flop, especially since he limp-called pre so I'm not overly worried about letting a free card come off (he probably doesn't have an A or K unless it's Ax suited), but against an unkown I bet the flop more often than not.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:09 AM

Why call the flop, does anyone live not follow through on the turn?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:19 AM

This is where I'm so messed up with live poker. Like I feel like against some villains, your QQ = A high cuz he either has trips, a boat, or air. But others might take this line with like 77-TT.. or atleast I've seen it before..

Against a thinking opponent that doesn't bluff a whole ton I'd call the flop and fold the turn because if he is making that CR with a pair I would think he'd slow down on the turn...
Old 06-17-2007, 05:56 AM

I really like Lefort's thoughts on this hand. Sometimes I also like checking flop in position to keep the pot small and to induce turn/river bluffs.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:13 PM

bet sizing is ugly on this hand. Raise more preflop because people will call more than 4x raise preflop after limping. No need to bet so much on the flop. Pot is like 180 and you bet 140 and cant stand the heat. Thats a big turn bet, and its tough to know whether he is a guy who is "protecting his hand against a flush draw." It doesn't sound like it, so I would call the turn. Bet is too big given what he thinks your range is.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:21 PM

First, not to nitpick but make it $90-$120 pre-flop, $80 is a bit small with one limper.

Second, this is a very standard situation for someone to make a move espically as they know they have no prior history with you. I think it depends a bit on my physical reads, but most of the time I felt this here.

Edit: I felt this with 100 bb. 200 bb prolly makes this a fold on the turn.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:08 PM

spnino wtf make a raise 6x BB?
Old 06-17-2007, 06:31 PM

i really like checking the flop