Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Default General discussion about playing with 1/2 or mini blinds

There are couple of live $4-$8 games in town but both use a mini blind structure. Instead of a normal $2 small blind $4 big blind they use $1 small blind $2 big blind. If the pot is unraised when it comes back to the big blind, the big blind cannot check; he has to raise to $8 or complete to $4.

What sort of adjustments do you make in this type blind structure? I have some ideals but I would like to know what you guys think.

Stu
Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 AM

Default Re: General discussion about playing with 1/2 or mini blinds

I remember a lot of the Vegas games like 4-8 are played with this structure,and some are even 1/2 kill games, with $3 being posted on a kill playing 6/12. I have always looked for opportunity to get in more hands in a game where there is passive play, and being able to make a PF raise will cut down pot odds(less blind $ in there) on those that must cold call. I'm sure there are very intellectual answers(your not gonna get any from me, EVER).

Tobdog
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 AM

How would the bet preflop get back to the BB without the bet being completed or raised? If it got to the BB, then everyone would have folded...right?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 AM

The BB is $2 not $4 like a traditional 4-8 game, so the blind money in the pot for the players to chase is less.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:38 PM

Several places here have that structure and they all are pretty bad games. They attract the nitties who love the game because it's cheap. The pots are smaller. The games are more passive. They just aren't any fun and I would avoid them at all costs.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:46 PM

Last time I played in one of those games, was at Mandalay Bay, ( home of the fastest beverage service on the strip) with Ed Miller and Clarkmeister, and the main strategic adjustment that was made was that you were supposed to try and drink more Corona's than you paid in blinds.

The main strategic adjustment I made the day after that was to drink coffee at the Mirage while I played.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How would the bet preflop get back to the BB without the bet being completed or raised? If it got to the BB, then everyone would have folded...right?

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say "completed or raised", he said just unraised. I assume this means that if it is folded to the SB and he "completes" to $2, the BB must fold, really "complete" to $4, or raise to $8. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If I have a solid raising hand folded to me in the SB, then I guess I could mini-complete to have BB jack up the pot so I can "complete" reraise? Hmm, sounds strange, and I doubt they would allow this????
Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 PM

Dude, they've got 1/2 blinds with a half kill at Texas Station. In a kill pot, bring a calculator to figure out the bets.

Seriously, they are sucky games filled with old nits who whine like they're stuck in the eye when someone raises. They are there for the BBJ and to get in those hours for the Mega 500K Freeroll Donkament Fantastic.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He didn't say "completed or raised", he said just unraised. I assume this means that if it is folded to the SB and he "completes" to $2, the BB must fold, really "complete" to $4, or raise to $8. If I have a solid raising hand folded to me in the SB, then I guess I could mini-complete to have BB jack up the pot so I can "complete" reraise? Hmm, sounds strange, and I doubt they would allow this????

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bravos, its a $4-$8 limit game. That means its $4 bets before the flop. When the sb completes he completes to $4. When the big blind completes he completes to $4.

Stu
Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't say "completed or raised", he said just unraised. I assume this means that if it is folded to the SB and he "completes" to $2, the BB must fold, really "complete" to $4, or raise to $8. If I have a solid raising hand folded to me in the SB, then I guess I could mini-complete to have BB jack up the pot so I can "complete" reraise? Hmm, sounds strange, and I doubt they would allow this????

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bravos, its a $4-$8 limit game. That means its $4 bets before the flop. When the sb completes he completes to $4. When the big blind completes he completes to $4.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

OK.. think I got it as the OP was just confusing to me. So the BB never gets to check, not because he can't by the rules, but because it is not technically possible as it will either be a walk for him, completed to $4, or raised to $8... so then he needs to act accordingly.