Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Overs buttons

The only time I have ever played with overs buttons was a limit game that became NL w/ overs. Several of us had cash on the table for the NL portion only. I found this extremely profitable since the limit players did not adjust properly to the NL streets. This was in Tahoe at Mont Bleu.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only time I have ever played with overs buttons was a limit game that became NL w/ overs. Several of us had cash on the table for the NL portion only. I found this extremely profitable since the limit players did not adjust properly to the NL streets. This was in Tahoe at Mont Bleu.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO that structure would rock.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 PM

Different houese do over different, no doubt.

The only time I ever played with overs was at Arizona Charlies Decatur. It is a 4/8 game with 1/2 blinds.

If the street starts heads up, it is NL.

At Fiesta, they played 3/6 with overs a few times, and it went to NL with any number of players, so long as 100% of the players still in the hand when the street started had the overs buttons.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally wouldn't recommend playing overs because its usually not to the players advantage - unless you feel like gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way way way untrue. You get to make decisions for larger amounts of money than normal against players whom you supposedly make better decisions than.

OP: tend to go further with drawing hands - for instance a gutshot on the turn when you are only getting 9:1

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to feel the same as you Donkey, but the more brain power I put into this the less I like the idea of playing overs (I have never been in a situation where overs button is permitted so I admit I have no real world application). Standard situation hero raises preflop, 2 callers one of whom has an overs button. 7.5 SB to the flop. Hero bets, middle player folds and now the overs kick in. If the stakes were 5/10 and the agreement was to double the stakes the effective pot size is now 4.5/1. You now are restricted in some of your actions. Its even more magnifided when the overs are HU and there was no pre-flop raise, it might be in the neighborhood of a 1.5:1 pot size at most.

Please show some applied examples where playing overs allows additional advantages, I could be thinking incorrectly and I'm open minded.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Slavic used to be more up on the overs deal. They play overs all the time where I play. It does benefit better players. More-so if their are alot of player playing overs. Much less so if there's only maybe 3 players doing it. Especially if its double the limit. They usually play only 1/2 limit higher. 20-40 with 30-60 overs.

To really take advantage, you have to realize when it will likely be an overs situation postflop or when you can make it a likely overs situation. Most players don't make adjustments for overs, they just like playing with more possible money. Some people it's a penis extension.

Sometimes they'll play with 40-80 overs. Which, if enough people are playing overs, makes it almost a mini blind situation. Which also can really suck if the majority of them are playing overs. In fact, if you're the only one not with an overs button, if it's a double limit overs, you may want to find a different game. But the more players that are playing overs with you, the better since it gives you more potential opportunities to play more hands. The more hands the better player gets to play, the more he can earn.

b
Old 02-23-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

The only time I'd ever seen overs buttons (the Grand Sierra Resort in Reno) it was the same way - it became NL when all the non-overs were out of the hand.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:21 PM

I regularly play in 15/30 game, which has overs to 30/60, and it's extremely profitable. It's especially good if there are about 5-6 players with them and sveral of them are loose. In a nutshell, it's implied odds.
Also, you can manipulate the pot size on turn(and flop) for your opponents to make TOP mistakes re: pot odds with holdings like OESD. This is especially true in medium sized 3 way pots.

Also, a tool to isolate bad players.

A note for our game, you don't have to bet overs if any street starts with only overs players. Also,you can bet overs on flop and then go back to regular on turn
Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT I can see as being an advantageous structure.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Slavic used to be more up on the overs deal. They play overs all the time where I play. It does benefit better players. More-so if their are alot of player playing overs. Much less so if there's only maybe 3 players doing it. Especially if its double the limit. They usually play only 1/2 limit higher. 20-40 with 30-60 overs.

To really take advantage, you have to realize when it will likely be an overs situation postflop or when you can make it a likely overs situation. Most players don't make adjustments for overs, they just like playing with more possible money. Some people it's a penis extension.

Sometimes they'll play with 40-80 overs. Which, if enough people are playing overs, makes it almost a mini blind situation. Which also can really suck if the majority of them are playing overs. In fact, if you're the only one not with an overs button, if it's a double limit overs, you may want to find a different game. But the more players that are playing overs with you, the better since it gives you more potential opportunities to play more hands. The more hands the better player gets to play, the more he can earn.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Great insight. The only time I knew of overs being permitted I was a total neophyte and they only permitted two overs buttons in the game. a 1/2 limit overs structure I like, and I also like the NL overs structure. Its when the structure is 2x the limit that I have a hard time accepting as being truly advantageous, but I can see how it might be good if 4 or so players all had overs buttons.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A note for our game, you don't have to bet overs if any street starts with only overs players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems kinda stupid to have overs if this is how they play it.

Can you raise overs if an overs player bets into you using the normal limit? Or does that now dictate the whole street?

b
Old 02-23-2007, 08:52 PM

Bernie, it just allows you the flexibility of keeping the pot small or building a pot. Yes, if someone bets normal($30) on the turn, you can raise $60 to $90. Once it hits overs on that street it must stay overs betting, but on the following street you could theoretically make the regular bet again.