Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Why are we losing all these choppers in Iraq?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for tracking them down within Iraq.

But the answer is "no" for launching missles at their infrastructure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Its what put them back in line in the late 80's when in one day we destroyed half their Navy.

Stu
Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Default Re: What to do? Easy....

Cons:
Price of gas goes up a $2 per gallon.
We will need to bomb their fields again as soon as they replace their destroyed oil drilling equipment...
1/3 of the rest of the world's economies (like Japan) that depends on Iran Oil collaspe.
Price of Gas goes up another $1 as these countries scramble for oil that US normally purchases.
Ripple effect of collasping economies causing US to fall into huge depression.
Price of Gas goes up another $1, Exxon/Mobil/Shell report huge profits just as massive layoffs here in US start.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM

Don't we sell Apache choppers and cluster bombs to Israel? If so, what should Hamas and Hezbollah be allowed to do to the US?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:40 PM

First let me compliment you for making an intelligent post as oppose to just saying I'm wrong, calling me a name, and then running off into cyberspace. You have made a post with some substance....

[ QUOTE ]
yep, both the Iranians and the Russians will totally take this lying down. It won't have any averse affects on regional stability or our ability to get energy out of the M.E.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did not advocate attacking the Russians so I don't know why you mentioned them. As for the Iranians they are a third rate power and the USA is a supper power. Once we bomb the Iranian oil fields and their economy is crippled...what can they do? Attack us militarily? Don't make me laugh.....

[ QUOTE ]
It won't have any averse affects on regional stability or our ability to get energy out of the M.E.

[/ QUOTE ]
Iran could try to attack oil tankers in the Persian Gulf. They tried this during the Iran-Iraq War because countries like Kuwait and Saudi-Arabia were giving money to Iraq. Luckily we had a real man as president (Ronald Reagan) and the USA sank half the Iranian navy in one day. Iran backed down.... Funny how gunboat diplomacy when properly applied workds very well...
http://www.specialoperations.com/Ope...on_Profile.htm
Once the bombs start flying, Iran will crumple like a cheap suit like they did when Reagan was president.

The Sunnis of the muslim world are alarmed at Iran's power. Kuwait, Saudia-Arabia, and others would be happy to see Iran get smacked down by the USA....

[ QUOTE ]
Did you by any chance also draft the plan where the Iraqis welcome us with open arms?

[/ QUOTE ]
I was for the war in Iraq but I have been dismayed by incompetance of occupation. But that is a completely different subject....
Old 02-07-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Price of gas goes up a $2 per gallon.
We will need to bomb their fields again as soon as they replace their destroyed oil drilling equipment...

[/ QUOTE ]
PERHAPS in the short term prices may go up $2 but it won't stay their long. Economics is economics. If gas goes up to $4 a gallon, then coal-to-gas plants become economically viable (and other sources of oil). Capitalism works...

[ QUOTE ]
1/3 of the rest of the world's economies (like Japan) that depends on Iran Oil collaspe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Collapse??? You are being a Drama Queen. People will start conserving more and the environmentalist will love it.

[ QUOTE ]
Ripple effect of collasping economies causing US to fall into huge depression.

[/ QUOTE ]
Iran economy will fall into a HUGE depression.
The US economy may hit a speed bump but we will do fine.
Remember there are a lot of other sources of oil (coal, oil shale, tar sands). These alternatives are more expensive but we will always have oil unless someone invents a new fuel source that makes oil obsolete... South Africa's Sasol oil plants do just fine... The USA could drill in Alaska and the Gulf of Mexico but the environmentalist have a strangle-hold on American politics (so Cuba and Mexico a re drilling in the Gulf instead of the USA. These countries are HUGE poluters...it is ironic that the environmentalists will be responsible for more polution due to their lobbying rather than less....

[ QUOTE ]
Price of Gas goes up another $1, Exxon/Mobil/Shell report huge profits just as massive layoffs here in US start.

[/ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, 70% of the worlds oil is on the Persian Gulf. Then we have oil from Venezuela, Nigeria, etc... Exxon does not control these sources of oil, yet people like yourself spread the urban myth that Exxon controls the oil market. OPEC countries the oil market. Not Exxon. Exxon's markup is roughly 10%. If they make a lot of money, then good for them.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Russian made missles sold to Iran.
Iran gives the missles to the insurgents.

What to do?
Cripple the Iranian economy by bombing their oil infrastructure. Light their oil fields up like a birthday cake.

Pros:
No oil. No money. No money to finance Shia insurgents in Iraq.
If we get lucky, the Iranian govt may fall.
No money to finance their nuclear program.
No money to finance Hezbollah in Lebanon...

Cons:
Price of gas goes up a $1 per gallon.
We may need to bomb their fields again assuming they can attract foreign investment to replace their destroyed oil drilling equipment...

[/ QUOTE ]
I like how you don't include the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians as a con.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't we sell Apache choppers and cluster bombs to Israel?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes

[ QUOTE ]
If so, what should Hamas and Hezbollah be allowed to do to the US?

[/ QUOTE ]
What are they going to do? Commit terrorism? Counterfeit US currency (Hezbollah/Iran)? Oh wait....they are already doing this. Perhaps we should sell money weapons to israel...not less.

Selling/giving weapons in itself is not a casus belli for war. Countries have the right to defend themselves and they should have the right to buy weapons. But Iran is not just giving weapons. They sponsor terrorism and are involved in massive counterfeiting of US currency. Their agents have killed Americans. They are trying to establish a religious islamo-fascist theocracy in Iraq. Iran is an enemy of the USA. So they need to learn their are consequences to their actions in trying to kill Americans..... Better to stop a Hitler in 1936 than too wait too long. Same applies to islamo-fascists.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how you don't include the deaths of thousands of innocent civilians as a con.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we bomb their oil fields at night then it will minimize casulties... But I doubt there will be thousands of casulties. Perhaps hundreds. We could give them warning to evacuate before an attack. If they choose to stay, then that is there problem...not ours. This may cause a few American pilots to get killed due to Iran being able to prepare better aerial defenses. If the choice is dead Iranians or dead US military....then I choose dead Iranians.

Besides, the use their oil to kill people via terrorism and perhaps eventually nuclear terrorism. Perhaps thousands and MILLIONS of people will live because we bomb their oil industry. If Hitler was stopped in 1936, then millions would have been saved...
Old 02-07-2007, 08:23 PM

If the entity of Iran is doing those terrible, terrible things, then get back at the entity itself. The people who would suffer from an American attack on Iran's infrastructure are largely no more culpable for Iran's actions in Iraq than you or I are for American actions in Iraq.

To answer otherwise, unless you can convince me otherwise, would require you also to believe that an Iraqi "insurgent" could come to the United States and blow up our infrastructure and be justified in doing so.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who would suffer from an American attack on Iran's infrastructure are largely no more culpable for Iran's actions in Iraq than you or I are for American actions in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is impossible stop Iran's evil designs without bringing some hardships to the Iranian people. Lots of Germans had to suffer allied bombings so that Hitler could be stopped. Besides the average Iranian does not benefit from their countries oil wealth. The oil money largely goes for terrorism, corruption, and Swiss bank accounts for Iran's ruling theocracy.....

[ QUOTE ]
To answer otherwise, unless you can convince me otherwise, would require you also to believe that an Iraqi "insurgent" could come to the United States and blow up our infrastructure and be justified in doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]
They do have that right as long as they don't violate the geneva convention regarding non-uniform wearing combatents. And we have the right to kill that insurgent when they come to the USA to try to attack our infrastructure. Duing WW2 we captured Nazi agents trying to damage our economy and promptly hanged them. Let them try if they want to...