Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 12:04 AM

Default Re: Yep...China Wants Taiwan and More

Will China (or Russia) get involved when the US attacks its Iranian buddies? If so were [censored] Also, I don't often agree with Felix but he is making some valid points.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: China\'s anti-satellite test

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time China invaded another country? Like 300 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

Chain occupied Tibet in 1950 and put down a rebellion in 1959. China has been involved with short boarder wars (China the aggressor, usually) with most of its neighbors, most recently in 1979 with the Vietnamese, with the Soviets in 1969, in1962 with India, and with Burma in 1956. None of these were lasting wars (skirmish is a more apt term for some of these, except the war with the Vietnamese and the take over of Tibet, both historical enemies) but they are significant. By proxy China 'invaded' Korea and rubbed elbows with the UN Forces in the early 1950's. This is only very recent history. Your statement obviously shows a marked lack of history in the Asian Theater.

By the way just as a general comment, the China-Taiwan conflict is complex and involves so much Face entangled with recent historical matters of great significance that its importance is lost on many people, and this is also why the matter is so touchy to the majority of the Chinese people (especially those in power).

-Zeno
Old 01-20-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When was the last time China invaded another country? Like 300 years ago?

[/ QUOTE ]
Like....no.
Here are some of the wars Communist China has been engaged in.

India (over a disputed border)
Vietnam (this last about a month with their commie brothers)
Korea
Russia (border skirmishes)
Tibet (the completely took over Tibet)

A better question to ask is which of their neighboring countries have they not attacked.....
Old 01-20-2007, 01:18 AM

There is less to this than it seems. The prognosticators of conflict with China are sipping the wrong tea, in my opinion. In a long-term broad sense the blending of China US relations (economic and cultural) would be of so much benefit to both countries that envy would be the worldwide reaction. The Russians (always covetous of Manchuria, as were the Japanese) would be particularly peeved. But that is the broad brushstroke and particulars would be too much to go into here.

But I would like to recommend a book I recently finished reading that would be an excellent introduction to Chinese and American relations in the last Century that reverberate to this Century and will continue to do so for many more. This book is also excellent in showing the limits of human organizations, both international and national, the vicissitudes of political power, cultural discord, and the practical limits of men and machines and the conflicts that consume them. It is also an introduction to the interactions, on a world stage, of many nation states that all would gain from. The book is told via the experiences of Joseph Stilwell. It is a superbly written book by a respected historian. I give it my highest recommendation.

The Book - Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-45 by Barbara W. Tuchman.

-Zeno
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Some Links

Here are a few links:

CNN Harry Wu: Labor Camps Reinforce China's Totalitarian Rule

Aiding the Policenet

Facing China's Quiet Juggernaut

Nothing In Common: A Policy Review for President Bush's China Vist
Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Book - Stilwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-45 by Barbara W. Tuchman.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have lots of respect for Joe Stilwell but his expertise on China is obsolete. His experience was with WW2 China and virtually none of that experience dealt with Commie-China. MacArthur thought he knew the Chinese mind and the Chi-Coms stunned him with the surprise attack on our troops in Korea. The Chi-Coms have culturally been MUCH-MUCH more aggressive than previous Chinese rulers.... To apply Stilwells opinions on the Chi-Coms is a major mistake...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link

Seems like China is gearing up for a potential conflict the US.

[/ QUOTE ]Not necessarily.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you guys think they choose this particular moment to demonstrate a military capability whose only real target are US military assets?

[/ QUOTE ]China has chosen the capitalist path and this is irreversible. But it has (legitimate) aspirations to be a world power, too. This means having a strong military, worthy of a world power, and capable of projecting that strength across the globe - or above it.

How many aircraft carriers will China have in 10 years time?

Mickey Brausch
Old 01-20-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Let a Million Letters Of Credit blossom

[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard of the Korean War?

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I vaguely recall something. Before Vietnam was it? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
FBI agents stated that Communist China is engaged is large scale conterfeiting of US currecy.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And I have a DVD copy of "I Was A Communist For The FBI". Like those "counterfeiting dollars" myths, it's so stupid it's funny.

But maybe it's a counterfeit DVD.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard the threats from a Chi-Com general to nuke the Western USA should we decide to honor our military alliance with Taiwan?

[/ QUOTE ]No.

(Did he mention Clallam? I have friends there.)

[ QUOTE ]
I find extremely disturbing the large scale investment [by western corporations and governments] in communist China.

[/ QUOTE ]On the contrary, this is a most encouraging bit o' news! We are brought closer through those economic ties. I say, Let's have more! Let the ports of Charleston and Shangai be owned by a corporation jointly-owned by a Chinese and an American corporation. Let oil refineries in China be built by American corporations, and Chinese factories in the U.S. bought by Chinese ones. Let trade figures between the two countries go through the roof. Excellent disinfectants, all, against the vermin of war.

Let a Million Letters Of Credit blossom.

Mickey Brausch
Old 01-20-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Link

Seems like China is gearing up for a potential conflict the US. Why do you guys think they choose this particular moment to demonstrate a military capability whose only real target are US military assets?

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh? I thought China said it was not interested in military use of space. AFAIK, the US has plenty of military satellites in use right now. I guess China's moves are purely defensive!

PS They use this moment as it is the right moment to try to curb an imperialist power.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Your use of the word Chi-Coms shows a lack of understanding, in my opinion. Also, the majority of the experiences of Stilwell are timeless, especially in his interaction with the Chinese people, both common and the powerful. And there is far more to this book than just China/U.S. Relations though that is the main theme.

Also if you read the book you will find that Stilwell had very little interaction with the nascent Chinese Communists - thought his opinions were right on, when he expressed them - especially about their fighting ability. He predicted the event of 1949 with clarity.

-Zeno