Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Re: A7s

[ QUOTE ]
Tom,
He was a pretty big Lag. Obv. I felt I had the best hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi McG,
Oh, I see where you wrote that now. I missed that before. Well, in that case, I still think this is pretty marginal. If he's raising very light, I'd rather three bet the A7s to isolate with position. A7s is pretty light to go three bets with and without position the difficulty of knowing where your at becomes too great to feel very comfortable with and you're still not beating all that many aces and pairing the seven is not very strong. I think I'd be putting myself in too tough a spot there. From the SB, A9s and ATo might be the minimums I'd pick.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 PM

pf depends on your read.

Flop and turn are std. Not betting the turn is just weak sauce. He's not folding anything on that flop. The turn comes a card that's right in your range. So you bet. He raises. You would normally fold here without the FD, but you can't here obviously.

Now the river. I'm calling here. It's a blankish card, which only completes 97 and turns a couple of gs into pairs, 96 and 76. You said he's agressive so that leaves a lot of busted draws out there, clubs, hearts, KJ, and AJ. He'll have one of those 2 out of 19 times so you call.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop:

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is good enough to 3-bet preflop vs. this player.

[/ QUOTE ]

3B A7s? Puhlezzeee.

- You're against a CO raise, not a button steal. Who is "this player?" OP didn't say he was a Lag or maniac.

- Your kicker sucks. You're subject to domination if an ace comes. Your subject to a lot of things if a seven comes.

- Your OOP.

- PS Blind structure at 5/10 is $2 SB. Calling has got to be marginal if not a loser.

- Your suited so you'll make the nut flush 3% of the time. If thats what you want, why would you charge yourself an extra bet for the long shot and simultaneously knock out one of your potenial payoff players. You won't show a positive return on your investment back that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how this analysis ignores CO's range completely. As if it's irrelevant to the discussion.

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop:

Betting that turn was very risky. What do you think he might have that he raises preflop, calls a three bet with and calls a bet on the flop with? Looks like two bigs or a Broadway pair he's trapping with. When you make that bet you are hoping he has JJ, AJ or AK. You might have gotten a free look at the river from AJ or AK by repping ATs or JJ afraid of the Queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever played a LAG?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever tried to OutLag a Lag from OOP?

Also, have you ever had a boiled hot dog with sourkraut and red onions?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- You're against a CO raise, not a button steal. Who is "this player?" OP didn't say he was a Lag or maniac.

[/ QUOTE ]

Learn to read.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:58 PM

I would play the hand the same, pf and turn included. I think we have fold equity on the turn if we haven't been fighting back much, so I like the bet. Unless villain is a maniac; in that case, I would like c/c, c/c UI better.

My inclination vs someone who steals a lot is to 3bet one hand out of the blue if I've been playing a TAG game so far. I think we get respect on that hand (so he'll fold lighter) and we're probably catching him with a bad hand anyway.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever tried to OutLag a Lag from OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Something you learn how to do playing HU.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, have you ever had a boiled hot dog with sourkraut and red onions?

[/ QUOTE ]

no I cook almost all the meat I eat over a blazing charcoal fire. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2006, 12:37 AM

Put me in the c/c turn crowd.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 AM

Im posting blind cuz im just to lazy too read this entire thread. If this guy is truly a lag, I think check/calling the turn and check/calling the river is your best play here, and I dont think its close. Firing Ace high into a very aggressive player on a board with two flushdraws and a million straight draws on it is just asking to get owned.

How can you get owned you may ask? Well paying two big bets from the turn on against a very aggressive player and not seeing a showdown with a hand that has some showdown value is getting owned cuz there is definitely some value here in showing this hand down. Instead of paying 2BB's on the turn and folding the river, check/call the turn and river unimproved and you'll pay the same price but always win when you actually do have the best hand.

This is a wonderful strategy against a lag. You have the nut flush draw, but dont look at your hand as a draw, look at the showdown value aspect of your hand. You have ace high, ace high takes a decent share of HU pots in these situations. Protect your equity in this pot by ignoring the drawing aspect of your hand and focusing on the made side of your hand. You have a marginal made hand that may or may not be best oop to a lag. What do you do with a marginal made hand in these situations? You check/call check/call. When you bet the turn you played your hand like a draw and that was your mistake. Also recognize that your turn bet is never folding a better hand, which is another reason why your turn bet is bad.

IMO, check/calling turns against very aggressive players with drawing hands that also have some showdown value is an extremely important strategy that one must have in their arsenal if they aspire to move up limits.

I'm glad you made this thread McGahee, becuz I think most good players are betting this turn way too often against the wrong opponents and its costing them money. Hopefully more than a few players will read my post and patch this leak up right away.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 AM

I agree with ILP. If he's a lag we're going to get our one bet in on this turn almost all the time via check/call, so why put the bet in ourselves and expose us to having to put in two, which we don't really want here.