Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Arizona State hires Dennis Erickson

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and his only truly dominant program was at Miami.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...Oregon St was damn good when he left. One of the best defenses in the nation that year. If he'd have stayed, Oregon St would've been a force in the Pac 10.

I agree one detriment is that he might not stay long.

I like Erickson. I may even buy a Sundevil hat.

Imo, the Pac 10 just got a bit tougher.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

did he leave before or after they thoroughly demolished Notre Dame in that Fiesta Bowl

they kicked the Domers ass on the field both on the scoreboard and physically. I remember something like 6 personal fouls on the Beavers that day.

[/ QUOTE ]

After.

Beavers had about 186 yards in penalties that game and still beat the living hell out of 'em. The ND AD was shown on the sideline saying it was "an eye opening experience". One of my favorite games to watch, if not just for that quote alone. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (Whammy in Miami: Miami/UW was another of my favs)

Nebraska got screwed that year. They should've been in that game. Instead, they set a bowl record for margin of victory in their game. Then the Beavs broke it. OSU/Neb would've been a good one.

At the end of that season, nobody wanted to play this team. They were hitting on all cylinders. The Huskies caught them at the right time(helluva game). I don't think they'd have beat 'em at the end of the season.

b
Old 12-11-2006, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um...Oregon St was damn good when he left. One of the best defenses in the nation that year. If he'd have stayed, Oregon St would've been a force in the Pac 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erickson was around for two more years after that 11-1 season. His records:

1999: 7-5
2000: 11-1
2001: 5-6
2002: 8-5

He did a good job, obviously. But I wouldn't call Oregon State a dominat program. In fact, the juniors and seniors on that 11-1 team were all recruited by Mike Riley. Erickson's recruits were no better than what ASU has been. I do think ASU is a higher profile program and that will help, but overall, Erickson has been pretty mediocre other than Miami.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM

Erickson can also be credited for recruiting Chad Johnson out of juco. TJ Houshmanzadeh also. But he will bring in degenerates.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Erickson was around for two more years after that 11-1 season. His records:

1999: 7-5
2000: 11-1
2001: 5-6
2002: 8-5

He did a good job, obviously. But I wouldn't call Oregon State a dominat program. In fact, the juniors and seniors on that 11-1 team were all recruited by Mike Riley. Erickson's recruits were no better than what ASU has been. I do think ASU is a higher profile program and that will help, but overall, Erickson has been pretty mediocre other than Miami.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. I thought he went to SF after that season.

He brought in alot of junior college guys on that 11-1 team. They weren't all Rileys. I don't think they were all Rileys guys. Not to mention, I think he also brought in Stephen Jackson.

b