Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-26-2006, 03:04 AM

Default just moved, how to find a good mechanic?

I just moved to a new city a couple of months ago and I'm probably going to buy a car in January. I've never owned a car before, and everyone tells me that if you're buying used, you should have an independent mechanic check the car out before you buy it. How would I go about finding a mechanic who doesn't suck? Unfortunately, asking friends isn't a good option, because all my friends in town are graduate students like me. Most of them just moved here too, and besides, our stipend is so [censored] that none of us have cars anyway. The only reason I can afford one is because I play poker.

Also, is it standard to have the mechanic check out the car before or after you decide that you want it and agree on a price with the seller?

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:10 AM

Default Re: just moved, how to find a good mechanic?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, is it standard to have the mechanic check out the car before or after you decide that you want it and agree on a price with the seller?

[/ QUOTE ]

not standard, but recommended if you're buying a car with no warranty.

as to where to find a good mechanic without references, being new to town, that's tough. Maybe find out which shops have been around a long time and sponsor Little League teams? Those guys are probably more likely to be honest and competent.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:23 AM

Ask a local yokel. Someone's whose parents have money typically works well.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 AM

you could buy a used car from carmax. that way you know a profesional already checked it out.

plus, you can then take it to a couple mechanics to check out, and if they see something wrong (which i doubt) you can take the car back w/in 5 days or something.

carmax is an excellent way to buy a used car if you don't know anything about cars.

if you don't want to go down that route, why don't you ask some of your professors? there has got to be a maintenance staff at your school, get to know them and ask them. definitely go independant though.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you could buy a used car from carmax. that way you know a profesional already checked it out.

plus, you can then take it to a couple mechanics to check out, and if they see something wrong (which i doubt) you can take the car back w/in 5 days or something.

carmax is an excellent way to buy a used car if you don't know anything about cars.

if you don't want to go down that route, why don't you ask some of your professors? there has got to be a maintenance staff at your school, get to know them and ask them. definitely go independant though.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who's worked at carmax for a summer, I'd highly recommend against it. (as well as other certified-car programs as well).

Say you have a car you're looking at. A typical price you'd get from a dealer with negotiating is $10k. Through carmax or a recertified program, the car would cost closer to $12k. In addition, carmax vehicles do not come with a warrany. You can buy one ($1500-$2000), but then what's the point?

Think about it this way:
Car, no warranty - $10,000
Car, recertified, no warranty - $12,000
Car, recertified, w/ warranty - $14,000
Car, with warranty, NOT recertified - $12,000

In short, why would you even consider paying the extra money for a recertified car if you're going to get a warranty with it to protect it anyway? It doesn't make any sense.

I personally never get a warranty, but if you do, do it w/ a non-recertified car.

Note: some manufacturer's recertified programs have short warranties with them. You will have to take this into account. My numbers are mostly indicative of Carmax.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:05 PM

I have never used it, but I know Pep Boys has (or had) a program forused car buyers. For a fee they would inspect a car you were think of buying. For a bigger fee they would agree to fix any problems they overlooked in their inspection. I am guessing that Pep Boys (like a lot of places) depends on what franchise y ou are at. I hated Pep Boys in Columbus OH and loved Pep Boys in Downey CA.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 AM

z28,

i would not buy a car from carmax, nor would i purchase a warranty. i think i am different than most people on this forum. i also think you are too.

Carmax bad things...
-you are paying a higher price

Carmax good things...
-the car has been inspected, and i'm sure you will at least back me that the people who do the inspections know what they are talking about. no wrecked cars, bent frames, and they can spot external problems easily.
-you are ABLE to purchase a warranty. a good friend of mine got a killer deal on a Z06, and the motor blew up four days later. he bought it private party, and he knows the name of the game, but i think that most 2p2ers would like to purchase a warranty for peace of mind. plus a new Z06 motor is more than $1500-2000. i also don't think that most people here do their own maintenance, etc.
-your 10K price was after negotiations!!! i think you underestimate the number of people who are not good at this, or who want to avoid it at all costs.
-Carmax is a national company that has a reputation to uphold, and it has a good reputation at that. this is opposed to a local dealership, who may or may not be slimeballs.

you may think i'm crazy to recommend carmax, but not use it. i relate it to fashion, something that i have no idea about. someone who is good at it could probably pick out some sweet clothes at a thrift store, but i would rather go to a nice store, which only has nice things, and ask advice from someone as to what looks and fits good.

carmax is an effective shortcut for someone to use to buy a used car, and minimize their risk of totally getting screwed over.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
z28,

i would not buy a car from carmax, nor would i purchase a warranty. i think i am different than most people on this forum. i also think you are too.

Carmax bad things...
-you are paying a higher price

Carmax good things...
-the car has been inspected, and i'm sure you will at least back me that the people who do the inspections know what they are talking about. no wrecked cars, bent frames, and they can spot external problems easily.
-you are ABLE to purchase a warranty. a good friend of mine got a killer deal on a Z06, and the motor blew up four days later. he bought it private party, and he knows the name of the game, but i think that most 2p2ers would like to purchase a warranty for peace of mind. plus a new Z06 motor is more than $1500-2000. i also don't think that most people here do their own maintenance, etc.
-your 10K price was after negotiations!!! i think you underestimate the number of people who are not good at this, or who want to avoid it at all costs.
-Carmax is a national company that has a reputation to uphold, and it has a good reputation at that. this is opposed to a local dealership, who may or may not be slimeballs.

you may think i'm crazy to recommend carmax, but not use it. i relate it to fashion, something that i have no idea about. someone who is good at it could probably pick out some sweet clothes at a thrift store, but i would rather go to a nice store, which only has nice things, and ask advice from someone as to what looks and fits good.

carmax is an effective shortcut for someone to use to buy a used car, and minimize their risk of totally getting screwed over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Million - I absolutely agree with everything you say here. To those who want no hassle, and are willing to be just-a-little ripped off, carmax is fine. They won't get totally raped on financing, etc.

However, as with any argument, I always try to argue for the best possible solution that is still realistic.

Can most people negotiate well with a few tips? Absolutely.

The warranty is a whole different option - for those that want the security, I'd suggest buying a car private party/from a regular dealer, and then getting the warranty. No need to double up on the warranty + recertification.

-Z
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just moved to a new city a couple of months ago and I'm probably going to buy a car in January. I've never owned a car before, and everyone tells me that if you're buying used, you should have an independent mechanic check the car out before you buy it. How would I go about finding a mechanic who doesn't suck? Unfortunately, asking friends isn't a good option, because all my friends in town are graduate students like me. Most of them just moved here too, and besides, our stipend is so [censored] that none of us have cars anyway. The only reason I can afford one is because I play poker.

Thanks for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP,

Are you in a major city?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:57 PM

Yes, I live in the East Bay Area. How does that change things? There are sure to be plenty of good mechanics here, and plenty of [censored] ones. Is there a reliable book or website that rates them for me?