Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 AM

Default Re: The New BCS Picture

[ QUOTE ]
To think OU is still in any BCS contention is a joke. Yes they can still win the Big 12 with Texas losing to Texas A&M but I will easily wager on that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

They can win the Big 12 or have Boise State lose. Another scenario is a Rutgers loss or a Texas loss in the Big 12 title game and the Rose Bowl might not want a Michigan or USC rematch with Notre Dame. Then they take Oklahoma and the SEC gets shafted.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To think OU is still in any BCS contention is a joke. Yes they can still win the Big 12 with Texas losing to Texas A&M but I will easily wager on that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

All they have to do is finish ranked #14 or higher to be eligible, and they are currently #15.

If USC beats ND, Boise doesn't lose, you get 7 conference champs plus Michigan with automatic bids. That leaves 2 at large.
The bowls decide on $$$, not on ranking. ND would be a lock, unless somehow they drop out of the top 14. Which school is willing to guarantee X tickets sold and Y hotel rooms filled? They get the 10th slot.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All they have to do is finish ranked #14 or higher to be eligible, and they are currently #15.

If USC beats ND, Boise doesn't lose, you get 7 conference champs plus Michigan with automatic bids. That leaves 2 at large.
The bowls decide on $$$, not on ranking. ND would be a lock, unless somehow they drop out of the top 14. Which school is willing to guarantee X tickets sold and Y hotel rooms filled? They get the 10th slot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you'd be comparing Oklahoma with Florida/Arkansas/LSU/Auburn.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the bowl, they might prefer OK money.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on the bowl, they might prefer OK money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I think this will be the case with the Rose Bowl, especially if they want to avoid a ND rematch. I'm sure the Sugar Bowl would try and persuade the Rose Bowl to take Okleehoma so the Sugar can take Notre Dame instead of the Big East champ.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 AM

I can think of 3 SEC teams better than OU. Have you seen their season? With Bomar not on the team and them losing Adrian Peterson, they might have a good record, but even with an extra bcs game, the still won't get in there.

Lets say Arkansas wins the SEC, then you have LSU, Auburn and Florida all better teams than OU. I would say 1 loss Louisville or WVU would be a pick over them. Plus Cal is a way better 2 loss team.

So OU's only chance is an automatic bid with winning the big12. No chance.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of 3 SEC teams better than OU. Have you seen their season? With Bomar not on the team and them losing Adrian Peterson, they might have a good record, but even with an extra bcs game, the still won't get in there.

Lets say Arkansas wins the SEC, then you have LSU, Auburn and Florida all better teams than OU. I would say 1 loss Louisville or WVU would be a pick over them. Plus Cal is a way better 2 loss team.

So OU's only chance is an automatic bid with winning the big12. No chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cal has three losses. Had they not blown their game in Tucson, they would be an easy partner to play in against Michigan in the Rose Bowl if Michigan doesn't play for the NC.

No bowl is going to take Louisville or West Virginial ahead of Oklahoma.

The SEC team might be more deserving, but I can see the Rose Bowl having a preference for Oklahoma. Especially if the Sugar Bowl has anything to say about it since they get stuck with the Big East champ if the Rose takes Notre Dame.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can think of 3 SEC teams better than OU.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter. The bowls want to sell tickets and fill hotel rooms.
Cal doesn't "travel well". Louisville has the same problem. Can either school guarantee 25K tickets sold?
Don't think "most deserving team" or "best match up", think "money".
Old 11-20-2006, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Big East will only get one automatic team, since Louisville will not finish in the top 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, looking at the remaining games, it's not all that far fetched that the Big East could finish with two teams in the top four.

If WVU beats Rutgers, Louisville is Big East champs.

WVU would then need to move up three spots in the BCS rankings. Given the remaining schedules, that isn't such a long shot. They are sure to rank at least fifth with a win over Rutgers.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Big East will only get one automatic team, since Louisville will not finish in the top 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, looking at the remaining games, it's not all that far fetched that the Big East could finish with two teams in the top four.

If WVU beats Rutgers, Louisville is Big East champs.

WVU would then need to move up three spots in the BCS rankings. Given the remaining schedules, that isn't such a long shot. They are sure to rank at least fifth with a win over Rutgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, If Notre Dame, Florida, and Arkansas all lose one game and as long as LSU doesn't jump them in the polls or Wisconsin build a larger lead in the computer rankings.