Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 AM

Default Re: The New BCS Picture

[ QUOTE ]
The Big East will only get one automatic team, since Louisville will not finish in the top 4.

Also there is nothing in the 2006 rules that states a conference cannot have more than two teams in the BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? Someone linked a rule that seemed pretty definite about only 2 teams from a conference in the BCS max unless there were extraordinary circumstances.

It was in reference to why no one was talking Wisconsin.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Big East will only get one automatic team, since Louisville will not finish in the top 4.

Also there is nothing in the 2006 rules that states a conference cannot have more than two teams in the BCS.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No more than two teams from any single Conference may play in BCS games in a single year, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

web page
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most likely scenario

Rose Bowl - USC/Michigan vs Texas/ND
Sugar Bowl - SEC champ vs Texas/ND
Orange Bowl - ACC champ vs Big East champ
Fiesta Bowl - Boise State vs At-large

At-Large will most likely be a SEC or Big 12 team I think (ie Arkansas, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma)

[/ QUOTE ]

The Big 12 champ plays in the Fiesta Bowl. If the season ended today, Oklahoma is not eligible.

In your scenario it would be:
Rose: USC/Michigan vs ND
Sugar: SEC champ vs Big east champ
Orange: ACC champ vs at large (SEC)
Fiesta: Boise State vs Texas
Old 11-20-2006, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

FYI-I just want to restate my objection to the horrible defeat Oklahoma had at Oregon. The Sooners would be in the driving spot for the last missing at-large birth had the officials down their job with some sort of incompetence. I strongly stated at the time that the calls had a good chance of affecting BCS teams. It is a travesty that the NCAA couldn't man-up and make sure the right team got the victory.

I wonder how much the computer rankings are skewed to favor the pac10 as a result of the outcome of the Oklahoma-Oregon game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everybody is pulling for West Virgina to beat Rutgers. That would likely clear the whole mess up and make Oklahoma eligbile, so long as they win.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:15 AM

My head hurts
Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

FYI-I just want to restate my objection to the horrible defeat Oklahoma had at Oregon. The Sooners would be in the driving spot for the last missing at-large birth had the officials down their job with some sort of incompetence. I strongly stated at the time that the calls had a good chance of affecting BCS teams. It is a travesty that the NCAA couldn't man-up and make sure the right team got the victory.

I wonder how much the computer rankings are skewed to favor the pac10 as a result of the outcome of the Oklahoma-Oregon game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think everybody is pulling for West Virgina to beat Rutgers. That would likely clear the whole mess up and make Oklahoma eligbile, so long as they win.

[/ QUOTE ]

man...I just read what I wrote
I think the sinus medication is getting to me
no more posting as I cannot read all those grammatical/spelling mistakes by myself without cringing
Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 AM

Default Re: The New BCS Picture *DELETED*

saw the conference affiliations. Its late! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2006, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
No more than two teams from any single Conference may play in BCS games in a single year, regardless of whether they are automatic qualifiers or at-large picks.

[/ QUOTE ]

web page

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I was looking at a different page that was updated 81 days ago.

Bowl selection will then go,
1) Rose Bowl if they lose USC gets one pick
2) Sugar Bowl selects two teams
3) Orange Bowl selects two teams
4) Fiesta Bowl selects two teams
5) Rose Bowl selects final team

Am I missing anything?

then adjusts COULD be made based on

[ QUOTE ]
5. After completion of the selection process as described in Paragraph Nos. 1-4, the Conferences and Notre Dame may, but are not required to, adjust the pairings taking into consideration the following:

A. whether the same team will be playing in the same bowl game for two consecutive years;
B. whether two teams that played against one another in the regular season will be paired against one another in a bowl game;
C. whether the same two teams will play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years; and
D. whether alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans as measured by expected ticket sales for the bowls and by expected television interest, and the consequent financial impact on Fox and the bowls.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Five of the conferences have tie ins.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Unless they qualify to play in the NCG, the champions of selected conferences are contractually committed to host selected games:

Atlantic Coast Conference-Orange Bowl
Big Ten Conference-Rose Bowl
Big 12 Conference-Fiesta Bowl
Pac-10 Conference-Rose Bowl
Southeastern Conference-Sugar Bowl

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-20-2006, 02:32 AM

To think OU is still in any BCS contention is a joke. Yes they can still win the Big 12 with Texas losing to Texas A&M but I will easily wager on that bet.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To think OU is still in any BCS contention is a joke. Yes they can still win the Big 12 with Texas losing to Texas A&M but I will easily wager on that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're so confident then at +500 I'll put $50 on Oklahoma making the BCS.