Old 11-15-2006, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Day 2 Hand vs. Pro at WPF

I think he trapped you.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he trapped you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing that this opponant will have a wide range on the button and will play aggressively when he senses weakness I think that our hero is probably ahead here.

This hand is probably highly read dependant and therefore not great for this site but knowing how pete plays I think that you are probably good here.

After your (imo) poor preflop play I think that you played this hand as well as you could have because the villain is definitely capable of firing two barrels against you if he has you on AK/AQ and he has to assume that you are leading out on the flop (or cring) or turn with TT/JJ/QQ/KK so he is safe in assuming that you have AK/AQ.

The problem, as I speculated before is that:
1) There is nothing that the villain will call with that you beat
2) There is nothing that the villain will fold that has you beat
3) The villain will not fire another barrel unless he has you beat
4) Any overcard could be dangerous to your hand and the pot is big enough in a tournament that it is worthwhile to try to take the pot down here if you are ahead because the pot means so much to you

I like the way that you played the flop and turn but I feel like there is something inherently wrong with my assumptions 1-3 and then saying that you should put the rest of your chips in just to hopefully end this hand... I am bumping this thread in hopes that some of our esteemed posters who might have missed it the first time around can comment.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:49 AM

How do we interpret villain's comment "pair the board"? "Pair the board" implies he has a set and is worried about a draw. It seems unlikely he would say that if he had a set. The comment may be a little bit of a tell, maybe a strong means weak tell.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 PM

We're not deep enough for this preflop raise. I find this whole hand completely unnecessary.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're not deep enough for this preflop raise. I find this whole hand completely unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would find that. I know I have a tight reputation here too, but I don't see anything wrong with raising 98s with 50xBB from early position at a tight table with a tight reputation and with an ante.

Part of what makes this hand interesting is the deception that villain thinks OP has overcards or an overpair.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:23 PM

We're not deep enough to be getting good implied odds from this kind of hand. We're in EP at (I assume) a tough table where we're likely to either get reraised or called (leaving us OOP after the flop with awkward stack sizes).

My point is there are easier ways to go about getting chips. When you raise preflop with these types of hands, at these types of tables, with these types of stacks, you often find yourself in exactly the situation OP found himself in.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do we interpret villain's comment "pair the board"? "Pair the board" implies he has a set and is worried about a draw. It seems unlikely he would say that if he had a set. The comment may be a little bit of a tell, maybe a strong means weak tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. One interpretation is that he doesn't want a heart or card higher than 9 to fall on turn. What would this narrow his holdings to, yet confuse Hero as to the nature of Villain's holding? But again this is very read-dependent, and might be far too specific. Some pairs under 9, some over 9. And Hero's turn check would allow Villain to make a mistake based on his own assessment of what Hero has.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We're not deep enough to be getting good implied odds from this kind of hand. We're in EP at (I assume) a tough table where we're likely to either get reraised or called (leaving us OOP after the flop with awkward stack sizes).

My point is there are easier ways to go about getting chips. When you raise preflop with these types of hands, at these types of tables, with these types of stacks, you often find yourself in exactly the situation OP found himself in.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with this type of situation? Villain probably is behind here. The low flop was checked and villain bets the turn. I like OP's push. Also, villain has been giving all sorts of tells that he is weak, "pair the board" and "if you fold, I'll show".

Villain called on the button versus a tight early position raiser. He could have a real hand, which may or may not be ahead on this flop. He also could be calling with a pp, suited connector or worse, looking to steal the pot, paricularly on a coordinated middle card flop, assuming OP has premium high cards or an over pair. He also may be hoping to catch something to bust OP when it is obvious he has OP's overpair or TPTK beat.

If the table is tough in that an early position raise from a very tight player is not likely to take the blinds, then fold preflop. At this stage of a live tournament, this is not so obvious.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 PM

LOL, I am Sisyphus.