Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2006, 06:35 PM

Default 2006-2007 Hot Stove Thread

The MLB trading/free agent season begins with San Diego shipping Josh Barfield to the Indians. .
Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: 2006-2007 Hot Stove Thread

I know we'll see some "nothing" answers from some, but in all seriousness, what should the Cubs do this offseason? I mean, obviously they SHOULD find a better CF, but they won't. Realistically, though, what can they do?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know we'll see some "nothing" answers from some, but in all seriousness, what should the Cubs do this offseason? I mean, obviously they SHOULD find a better CF, but they won't. Realistically, though, what can they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming Pierre is staying(could be wrong), but it's pretty hard to aquire a better CF than him. He is definately above average overall. He shouldn't be batting leadoff and shouldn't steal as much, but he is very fast, and his defensive ability makes up for his poor OBP.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming Pierre is staying(could be wrong), but it's pretty hard to aquire a better CF than him. He is definately above average overall. He shouldn't be batting leadoff and shouldn't steal as much, but he is very fast, and his defensive ability makes up for his poor OBP.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other thing that could happen is Pierre could hit his career OBP of .350 instead of .330. With his speed, that makes him a very good leadoff hitter.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Looks like the Phillies have interest in Soriano.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Is Aramis all but gone from the Cubbies? I know he filed for FA, but will the Cubs make a serious run at resigning him?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I made a post on this a while back, but I'd have to update it because the Japanese pitcher I thought they would/should sign re-signed in Japan.

Personally, I think Edmonds (Cards may pick up his option) and Dave Roberts are both > than Pierre and will go as better deals this year than Pierre. The Cubs biggest move this offseason is still most likely going to be signing Soriano to play center, however.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The MLB trading/free agent season begins with San Diego shipping Josh Barfield to the Indians. .

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a nice coup for Shapiro. 23 years, five tools. Kouzmanoff's numbers last year were nuts, but he's two years older with less experience than Barfield.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Aramis all but gone from the Cubbies? I know he filed for FA, but will the Cubs make a serious run at resigning him?

[/ QUOTE ] Last update was that the Cubs are still Aramis's first choice but talks have stalled. Aramis is going to get a huge contract, whomever signs him.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a nice coup for Shapiro. 23 years, five tools. Kouzmanoff's numbers last year were nuts, but he's two years older with less experience than Barfield.

[/ QUOTE ] I disagree. This was a very even trade. The Padres want to upgrade at 2nd anyway (Giles or shift that Japanese 3b to 2nd). Kouz is likely to better than Barfield for the next year or two if he is healthy, and the Pads need a 3b. Plus, the pitching prospect they got in the deal could become the next great Padres set-up man.

Barfield gets neutered by righties and destroys lefties. Obviously, he could improve on this. But I don't think he's that much better than the inhouse options at 2nd for the Indians; although he has more upside.

OBP is the most important basic stat, and he had a .318 OBP last year. I see Barfield as an average regular. He'll be cheap, and the Indians needed to trade Kouz or Marte.