Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 AM

Default Early 4/180, 99 button

MP1 got lucky early and has been limping every pot since. SB played absolutely nothing until a few hands ago and has been calling almost everything pf since.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1920)
UTG+1 (t1260)
MP1 (t3785)
MP2 (t1535)
MP3 (t1495)
CO (t1135)
Hero (t1425)
SB (t1455)
BB (t1360)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t120</font>, SB calls t105, BB calls t90, MP1 calls t90

Flop: (t480) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (4 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t330</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero</font>?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Early 4/180, 99 button

You're not worried about 77-88. TT might be a concern, but not in a 4.4, this could be A6, it could be a strong hand, you've got the diamond draws handicapped.

43s has you crushed, evidently, regardless of suit, but it's early enough that it's worth going broke over.

Good move. Unlucky this time.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're not worried about 77-88. TT might be a concern, but not in a 4.4, this could be A6, it could be a strong hand, you've got the diamond draws handicapped.

43s has you crushed, evidently, regardless of suit, but it's early enough that it's worth going broke over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Axd (J&gt;x&gt;7) doesn't have you worried? That was my biggest concern.

I was just wondering about the equity I have if his range includes that, and how likely it was at a 4/180. And what happens if I call, considering I'd still have a PSB left.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just wondering about the equity I have if his range includes that, and how likely it was at a 4/180. And what happens if I call, considering I'd still have a PSB left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, and, yes, FD with overs above/under your 9's are a concern, but that's actually a coinflip, and with what he's already invested in the pot, you just gotta win your slightly less than 50% chances. Because across the range, it isn't even that high.

Can you fold here? Yes, but it's generally not a great tournament to do so. The 4.4's have a high weak opponent to legit opponent ratio, and the payout scale is steep enough it justifies burnin' a buy-in for the times you get an early double.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, and, yes, FD with overs above/under your 9's are a concern, but that's actually a coinflip, and with what he's already invested in the pot, you just gotta win your slightly less than 50% chances. Because across the range, it isn't even that high.

Can you fold here? Yes, but it's generally not a great tournament to do so. The 4.4's have a high weak opponent to legit opponent ratio, and the payout scale is steep enough it justifies burnin' a buy-in for the times you get an early double.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice analysis. I'm rarely folding here in a 4/180, but I wanted to get a clear picture of what I may be up against. I'm not quite sure about what 4/180 donks might be holding in this situation. Low Ax flush draws seemed plausible and might sway the decision.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:54 AM

Thanks. When in doubt, go with the gut.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. When in doubt, go with the gut.

[/ QUOTE ]I did. I pushed and he flipped up 88. 99 held. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 08:28 AM

If he had a very good hand he'd probably c/r you so I think you have to push on this board.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm being honest here, K-5 and K-6 will go to the felt here in a 4/180.

I think I'd push here. So many hands are behind your overpair.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:34 PM

I'd push. Only hands I'm concerned about are sets and TT.

I'd likely expect Ax above all else though.