Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 PM

Default \"Weekend\" tees?

Question for those who have worked at courses (or if you happen to know anyway):

If your blood-alcohol content is... j/k

How common is it for a golf course to move at least the middle set of tees forward on the weekends?

I would assume the rationale is that it is more likely that less-serious players (and therefore more hackers) would show up on the weekend, and the course is more crowded in general, so make some of the holes easier/more manageable and keep the pace of play moving along?

Also, the course I played yesterday has four sets of tees on the scorecard, and I've always played the 2nd longest. I have noticed that on weekends, they are significantly shorter (though not up to the 3rd set of tees).

Say for instance the course is rated as follows:

2nd tees 72 71.0 132 6318
3rd tees 72 68.9 128 5827

The tee placement on some of the holes is a little restricted, but let's say the course plays at 6100 on a given day. Would this affect whether or not you posted a score for that round?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: \"Weekend\" tees?

I can't say that I've ever noticed a trend.

The tees were definitely up a bit at my home course on Saturday, but they made up for it by putting the pins in some really sick positions...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 PM

I've noticed this; I find it irritating. But I understand why they do it. Posting a score is fine.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 PM

Posting a score is fine, but when they do it and it's obvious we'll sometimes just play from the plates. There's a skins game at a local muni every Monday populated by scratch or better golfers and that's what they do regardless of where the tees are.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:29 AM

sometimes the tees are moved around just for variety. i know at my club (this is just a theory), all the pins will be in an easy spot and the tees are moved up more so than usual.

then you play the next day and every pin is hard and the tees are stuck in the very back. I think they just do it for people that play there all the time, so they see something a little different now and again.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:21 AM

In general course set up calls for six tees to be in front of the plate, six tees at the plate and six tees behind the plate. You also have six pins in front, six in the middle and six in the back of the green. This allows you to play the yardage that shows on the card for the entire course but not necessarily for each hole. Some courses actually move the tees and pins in tandem so that you play about the stated length for each hole.

The deception comes in at resort courses that seemingly always set the course shorter that the markers for speed of play. These are usually the courses which put a suggested handicap for each tee on the scorecard. Their interest is speed of play and getting the most rounds possible per day, my interest is playing the course that is rated. If they cheat too much just go to the plates.

Wally