Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 04:02 PM

Default NL25 AK on paired flop

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $24.75
BB: $24.40
UTG: $88.55
CO: $38.80
Hero (BTN): $29.25

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1.00</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls $2.50

Flop: ($7.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $6.00</font>, Hero ...

What would be your play? A call would give him the chance to barrel on the Turn a weaker hand than mine. With a Reraise I would give him the chance to fold a weaker hand, in my opinion. Would be a call a terrible mistake? Should I simple raise and hope that he puts his money in the middle?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: NL25 AK on paired flop

Usually when they lead the pot i find they are testing a pair or some crap, here though he makes a large bet which i dont think means weakness. I always hate calling, so i would raise to $20 (or push with our stack) as im sure some weaker K's call which i figure he might have.

If we were deeper like the villain id raise to $20 and fold to a push. maybe.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM

Do you have any stats/reads/info on villain? They sure would help about now.

As a default play I'm definitely flat calling this flop. We're killing just about everything he can hold unless he's somehow managed to get here with AA or a 4 in which case he's killing us.

It's definitely WA/WB so raising doesn't achieve much.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any stats/reads/info on villain? They sure would help about now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No reads sorry.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the pot was 3bet and his flop bet is pretty large, calling here is going to be suggestive of a lot of strength and pretty serious commitment. How often are you calling there with JJ, for example, or floating when you'll have only about the pot left behind or the turn? If you shove now, he can at least convince himself that you're bluffing and try looking you up with JJ, QQ or the occasional KQ. There's only one KK and three AAs left, and it's probably a little unlikely that he has them from preflop, so on this board you are very rarely going to be behind. So feel free to bomb it in here, I think.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:29 PM

AA most likeley 4-betted preflop since he is OOP. I would call flop reevaluate turn, nothing strange: push turn.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:29 PM

No reason to raise this. board can't really change much and you can easily get ai if he checks the turn.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the pot was 3bet and his flop bet is pretty large, calling here is going to be suggestive of a lot of strength and pretty serious commitment. How often are you calling there with JJ, for example, or floating when you'll have only about the pot left behind or the turn? If you shove now, he can at least convince himself that you're bluffing and try looking you up with JJ, QQ or the occasional KQ. There's only one KK and three AAs left, and it's probably a little unlikely that he has them from preflop, so on this board you are very rarely going to be behind. So feel free to bomb it in here, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is excellent logic and it would definitely work against me if I were the villain. I'm not convinced it's a good plan in the micros with no reads though. How many villains are going to go through that thought process here?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AA most likeley 4-betted preflop since he is OOP. I would call flop reevaluate turn, nothing strange: push turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience, players frequently just flat call 3bets preflop with AA...but that doesn't matter much here anyway...

OP, I like a flat call as well...he's probably shutting down on the turn anyway if he has a worse hand than you..but once in a while you'll get a frisky one...and you are WA/WB enough to just call his bet.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this is excellent logic and it would definitely work against me if I were the villain. I'm not convinced it's a good plan in the micros with no reads though. How many villains are going to go through that thought process here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either they like calling or they don't. If they do, then you can probably get them on the flop or the turn, since as Jamougha points out not much will change the action on the turn. I just think it's unlikely that a TT-QQ fires twice in this spot, and if they'll call you on the turn, they'll probably call you on the flop, too. The one difference is that on the turn, if they've checked to you, maybe your line looks bluffier. I don't know.