Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 02:18 PM

Default FT 100: flopped trips, but I think this stupid fish has me beat

villain is like 35/5/1.5

The plan was to c/c flop, raise turn. But after villain raised, I played it passively, as a wa/wb situation.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $108.30
BB: $63.30
UTG: $76.05
UTG+1: $81.00
MP1: $163.90
MP2: $35.70
MP3: $93.65
CO: $170.35
BTN: $104.20

Preflop: Hero is dealt J 9 (9 Players)
UTG calls $1.00, 4 folds, CO calls $1.00, <font color="red">BTN raises to $3.00</font>, Hero calls $2.50, BB folds, UTG calls $2.00, CO calls $2.00

Flop: ($13) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 Players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $5.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00, UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $18.00</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $13.00

Turn: ($54) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $10.00</font>, Hero calls $10.00

River: ($74) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $20.00</font>, Hero calls $20.00

Pot Size: $114.00 ($3 Rake)
Old 09-23-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: FT 100: flopped trips, but I think this stupid fish has me beat

Preflop: Fold.
Flop: Bet! If you check here, it's for a check-raise...do it!
Turn: Ugh, by this time, you can't guess what your opponent has. He could easily have an overpair, J2-JA, or 77. I'd bet out and see how he responds.
River: Ugh again...as played, I have no idea what to do.

My .02
Old 09-23-2007, 03:00 PM

Fold preflop. Even if button is raising light, you are in terrible position, both in absolute terms, and in relative terms to the preflop raiser. If you MUST play, then reraise to $9 or $10 as an attempt to resteal. But fold is best.

The rest of the hand looks good, and your reasoning for playing that way in the OP is also good.

If you raise, I think he only calls with J-better kicker. If you play like you did, then he might continue to small-bet worse hands than Jx.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:26 PM

1. Fold preflop. You are out of position with a mediocore drawing hand.

2. The cutoff check-raised the flop so he is representing a jack or better. Did you have any reason to think he was bluffing or calling a preflop raise with J8 or worse? Even if he is a habitual bluffer and you are looking to snap him off, you can wait for a better opportunity than this.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:46 PM

I just like to repeat other people.

Pick your spots, don't go taking the whole world on with J9s even if it is a pretty colour of blue. Wow you hit your flop really nice. I don't mind your check here and your call. His reraise is a little bit surprising here, I generally wouldn't expect a later position person to reraise with a flopped boat (7,7) or a Jx because the board is pretty dam sweet and you would think he might wait till the turn to pop it up. So i think calling here is just fine.
Now on the turn things are getting a bit tricky. Cause if you use my rational and he doesn't have a J or 77 than he'll most likely check behind you if you check, so i think you need to lead out at this point, if he's all mr aggro though than i guess maybe just maybe i might check raise but i see this play back firing many more times than it making me money. So you lead out for i'm thinking 35 dollars..cause the board is looking pretty nice and safe and you wouldn't expect anytihng to suprising. You could expect a call from AA-QQ and perhaps 10's and i think at this point well playing this hand preflop you've already decided to go broke on a good flop for you. I mean what else were you hoping for with J9s a flopped flush? A flopped straight?
Anyways this is a long arse post. But if you get repopped after your 35 raise.. your probably SOL but your cheap and don't have a full stack to start with so you gotta call. If he just calls your 35... well how much would you have left on the river...you gotta push regardless.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you have any reason to think he was bluffing or calling a preflop raise with J8 or worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jxs is possible, so is AA, KK.

The only reason I called pre was because I knew CO and UTG (40/13/2.8) sucked so much and would pay me off if I hit something. If they're decent players or nits I fold.